Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Third Year - No Idea What To Do After Graduating Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm aware this is probably a common problem but as it's November and getting to the stage where we need to send off applications but I'm really worried what to do after graduating. Do most people find graduate jobs or do lot so of people finish uni and have to just look for jobs normally? I will have a degree in history and am thinking of applying for graduate schemes at consultancy firms, accountants etc but I don't really know if it's what I want but more to make me feel like I'm doing something. Even for these applications I don't think I'll stand much of a chance as I don't really know much about the companies, what the job entails etc. I can't find anything related to the Museum/Archives sector and I'm worried as although I have some experience of work at a law firm and should get a 2:1, my CV is pretty weak and I don't have much confidence in being able to get a job considering how competitive these graduate jobs are.

Also I'm also busy with lots of coursework so I'm struggling to even find time for applications and research but don't know what to do as everyone's else seems to find time? Basically I'm just wondering what I should really be doing now, should I worry if I don't get a graduate job?
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Monk)
    I'm aware this is probably a common problem but as it's November and getting to the stage where we need to send off applications but I'm really worried what to do after graduating. Do most people find graduate jobs or do lot so of people finish uni and have to just look for jobs normally? I will have a degree in history and am thinking of applying for graduate schemes at consultancy firms, accountants etc but I don't really know if it's what I want but more to make me feel like I'm doing something. Even for these applications I don't think I'll stand much of a chance as I don't really know much about the companies, what the job entails etc. I can't find anything related to the Museum/Archives sector and I'm worried as although I have some experience of work at a law firm and should get a 2:1, my CV is pretty weak and I don't have much confidence in being able to get a job considering how competitive these graduate jobs are.

Also I'm also busy with lots of coursework so I'm struggling to even find time for applications and research but don't know what to do as everyone's else seems to find time? Basically I'm just wondering what I should really be doing now, should I worry if I don't get a graduate job?
    So I think first and foremost you'll want to do a bit of research! I know it's daunting, especially in the face of mounting coursework this time of year, but start setting aside an hour every day and look into the jobs you mentioned, the type of career they could lead to, some of the big employers in those fields. An hour a day is really nothing in the grand scheme of your day--consider it productive procrastination, either spreading it out and doing it during your normal work breaks, or maybe at the start of each day when you're feeling sluggish and not quite ready to start "real" work. As deadlines get closer and closer, you'll presumably have to up this amount of time, but just start with an hour to get yourself out the rut!

You mentioned you have work experience at a law firm. Did you enjoy it? What aspects did you enjoy most? Spend time reflecting whether you want to carry on with this kind of work, and as well, how to best frame your experience in your CV. A good CV only demands time--time putting everything together, time framing things the best way they can be (eg. not using reductive, overused language like "managed my time well"; but rather, "maximised efficiency by rescheduling boss' itinerary"). Make sure you read it out loud to yourself, and have a third person look over it, too--perhaps your Uni has a career help centre? Book an appointment with them!

Hopefully this helps!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.