Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Severe anxiety and University, what should I do? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I just started university a month ago ( something I have always wanted to do) however its now a battle to even leave the house because of how severe my anxiety it is, I've missed most of my lectures and I'm starting to fear I am falling behind. I have been diagnosed with GAD (generalised anxiety disorder) for 8 years now and had to leave my first secondary school shortly after starting due to the same reasons. I've tried different medication etc and it isn't helping, I feel like I need to take a leave of absence but I'm also anxious about not having enough money to live as I'm currently off work with a sick note due to my anxiety, what should I do? Suggestions would be great

ReputationRep:
    Is your degree part-time and are you living away from home? It's just you mentioned not being able to go to lectures but then also mentioned that you're off work at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Honesty333)
    Is your degree part-time and are you living away from home? It's just you mentioned not being able to go to lectures but then also mentioned that you're off work at the moment.
    Hey, my degree is full time and I live at home, I commute on the train to uni.

ReputationRep:
    How come you're worried about having money to live if you're living at home? Grants and loans should help with that Also are you working full time or part time?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Honesty333)
    How come you're worried about having money to live if you're living at home? Grants and loans should help with that Also are you working full time or part time?
    I have a few direct debits e.g phone bill and paying keep and things. My maintenance loan is helping at the moment but I read that applying for a leave of absence stops your student loan etc so was unsure on that and I'm working part time at weekends

ReputationRep:
    Okay that's understandable

I would seriously consider going to your GP about how you've been feeling - either to get counselling or to see a therapist. After that I would see how you go, as at the moment it sounds like you're really in a downward spiral
    I imagine that your anxiety is made a lot worse because you feel too anxious to go to lectures or to go to work? This MAY result in you needing to take a year out to alleviate the stress of feeling like you can't go anywhere, which is another thing to consider. You've just got to bear in mind that your health is most important, so even though leaving uni may not be ideal, you may be able to come back x10 stronger as a result. But ultimately it's whatever you decide - if you feel you may be able to pull through with the assistance of a counsellor/therapist then by all means do that instead.

I totally understand though OP. I missed quite a bit of sixth form due to anxiety and also felt I couldn't fully make the most of my university experience because of anxiety as well.

ReputationRep:
    OK well start off by talking to your uni. They can let you know how behind you are and advise you about when a leave of absence is helpful. They can also help where they can e.g. sending you lecture notes, letting you know which classes are most important (so you can try and use your mental energy to prioritise attending those) and giving you extensions on essays and stuff.

Further than that, I would speak to your family about the possibility of taking a leave of absence and not working. Find out what benefits you'd be able to get (tsart with definitely and then think about disability benefits later) and work out what you'd be able to give your family for keep and ask them if it would be enough given this is hopefully a short term thing and you will get control back again at some point.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.