Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have always loved the USA and I can remember a 13-year-old me saying that one day I would like to go to university there. I have a lot of experience in the US and now that I'm in year 12 I need to start being serious about whether or not I want to really go for this.I also need to start the process now as I saw if you want to study abroad there you need to start the process 12-18 months before you would be looking to start.
    I know so far that I should take SATS at a UK centre and start going to some seminars but there is one big thing I need to consider and that is finance. I am not looking to do any type of sport major and that is one of the most common scholarships there.
    I actually don't know what I want to major in but I don't really think that's a problem because there you do the first year or two in a general curriculum and then you choose your major. The cost for US nationals to go to university there is very expensive compared to UK nationals going to university in the UK and the added fact that I'm an international over there makes it even more expensive for me.
    I have no idea how to afford this. Does anyone know any scholarship funding programmes other than Fullbright? I don't think I fit their criteria so much as they seem to want people with not much USA experience or though I suppose I could pretend also my family's income isn't that low but still nowhere near high enough to afford this.
    Any suggestions or advice on anything relating to this or just going to study abroad there, in general, would be great.

ReputationRep:
    Go to Harvard.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by conconnie)
    x
    Hiya:hi:

I've popped your thread into this sub-forum so you should hopefully get the replies you're after.

I'm not an expert in this stuff unfortunately, but there are plenty of people around here who can give you the right information and advice.

ReputationRep:
    In terms of scholarships, many of the ivies have very good financial aide. Additionally the University of Southern California offers excellent financial aide to international students. Other than that, you could apply for scholarships such as essay contests to help fund your studies. When applying, don't be too worried about the financial aide package because you never know what you are going to get until you get accepted so don't let the finances prevent you from applying.

ReputationRep:
    https://us.suttontrust.com/

ReputationRep:
    Have you considered going to uni in the UK and then spending one year studying abroad in the US?

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I know you mentioned Fullbright in your thread and I would definitely say it is worth checking out the Sutton Trust US Programme! If you're concerned about meeting the threshold for family income I wouldn't be. That only plays one part in a complete holistic viewing of your application. I am currently on the programme and there are people whose families earn way more than me and those who earn less- it really does vary. Equally, they don't necessarily want people who have no experience of the US or no knowledge of the college system. In fact some of the application requires you to have some understanding as it will likely ask why you want to visit the US. I was in a similar position to you in that I knew from a fairly young age that I did want to study in the US. I don't think that played against me when applying; if anything it helped! The programme has honestly changed my life and I would definitely say it is worth applying if you're at all considering undergraduate study in the US.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by apple32)
    Have you considered going to uni in the UK and then spending one year studying abroad in the US?
    Hi , yes actually! Since I posted this I decided that that was what I was going to do , I just thought I'd keep this up anyways to see what people say about this and could be useful for other people

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.