Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Fat people in prestigious medical schools (UK)? Watch

Hey guys,

I was just wondering whether the Medical Admissions team show any sort of preference for non-fat people during the Medical admission process.

I mean having a look on Facebook, Graduation photos and other records of Medical school students, most seem to look 'healthy' or atleast not fat/overweight! Some are even good looking if I can say that...So do they really select the best, most attractive, least fat-looking, and clever students?

I do know it's all primarily based on applications, statistics, your aptitude and a number of other pivotal factors. But honestly, does being fat ruin your chances in a way once you're in the interview process.

I am also assuming that said fat person is quite confident and able, not one of those self-depreciating, wallowing in self-pity types... I mean my confusion lies in how there may be lessons on metabolism and interactions with patients where you may have to provide advice on losing weight, and might that not come across as hypocritical?

I am specifically asking in terms of Oxford and Cambridge, but if you are a part of any other medical school in the UK, it would be helpful if you could comment on whether fatness hinders one's chance at getting an offer...

ReputationRep:
    It's probably just that people who are knowledgeable about health and wellbeing have the sense to not let themselves get obese.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I don't think that they do take that into consideration and if you are extremely smart and the ideal student it shouldn't matter what you look like.

Understood, as many people would call it a self-inflicted condition. But would they look at fat applicant and insinuate they are not good enough?

ReputationRep:
    I have seen a lot of overweight doctors, I don't see it as a problem. Their aim is to cure you not cure themselves...

Poorer people tend to fatter and Oxbridge (and Medicine in general I'd say) is certainly not a subject that has lots of poor people.

ReputationRep:
    Well.. there's a multi-way dynamic between socioeconomic group, educational attainment and cultural attitudes to health/weight. Yes, you're more likely to know about the importance of good physical health if you have a better education. But you're also more likely to have a high educational attainment if you're rich, and you're also more likely to be able to afford to eat healthily.

OP: I can't pretend there aren't any unconscious biases, because there are. But I'm not aware that any interview panels would consciously turn away a good applicant because of their physical shape.

Also, 'prestige' doesn't make a whole lot of sense with regards to medical school, assuming you're planning to practise in the UK.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 5, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.