Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Cost and length of course is not an issue.
    If I got a 2:1 in biomedical science and good amount of work experience, would graduate entry be easy to get into?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PleaseHelppppp)
    Cost and length of course is not an issue.
    If I got a 2:1 in biomedical science and good amount of work experience, would graduate entry be easy to get into?
    If you can afford to self-fund the undergraduate course then you're better off applying there. GEM is harder to get in due to fewer places, and thus more competition.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    We're talking about getting in then i assume.

To get in, the competition ratios are about 2x higher so its reasonable to conclude its significantly harder. I'd be surprised if the vast majority of applicants didn't have a 2.i and work experience so no, it won't be easy.

ReputationRep:
    Its the same course/curriculum and it leads to exactly the same MD status. The GEM course is just 4 years instead of 5 years - so has a first year that covers the first/second year of the 5 year course. That is the only difference - it isnt a postgrad course,its just an accelerated undergrad course. In terms of study, its going to be a tougher initial year than the 5-year course.

Competition for GEM is very high - higher than for the 5 year. Its a small course (25/30 places at most Unis instead of the 250+ for the 5 year course). Anyone who gets an offer needs only to get a 2i for entry, and they will already know they are on track for that so getting a 2.2 isnt going to happen. Unis therefore dont need to make lots of extra offers, and usually only make the same number of offers as places. Your chances of an offer after interview are therefore small. All in all, its a much harder task to get an offer/place than the 5 year course.

ReputationRep:
    Also from what I’ve been told, the 1year will be the very intense as they need to teach you two year worth of stuff in that time, but then it will basically the same as the undergrad course
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    much harder. GEM admission comes down to how well you do in UKCAT or GAMSAT and interview.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by returnmigrant)
    Its the same course/curriculum...
    It isn't at Oxford. They shorten the pre-clinical aspects a bit and make it more directly relevant to medicine to make it workable.

Still utterly insane intensity in first year though, from the stories i hear!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 6, 2017

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.