Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Struggling to afford university Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm in my third year, have a part time job and like most people have a loan that just about covers rent. My hours at work have been cut, I am being pressured by my lecturers to volunteer and join societies which I have done but all of these things are expensive and I cannot afford it. I do not go out all of the time and the only thing I do is play tennis which is £5 a week excluding transport (it's an hours walk away and isn't a good idea when I do not live in a good area). My weekly budget (including food) is £35 a week which I know is more than what some people have. My family give me £50 a month but I don't feel like I can ask for anything else from them, any suggestions on what I could do?

TLDR: I have a part time job yet still struggle to eat, any suggestions on what I can do?

ReputationRep:
    Loan, more work, sell stuff
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kayleighisonfire)
    I'm in my third year, have a part time job and like most people have a loan that just about covers rent. My hours at work have been cut, I am being pressured by my lecturers to volunteer and join societies which I have done but all of these things are expensive and I cannot afford it. I do not go out all of the time and the only thing I do is play tennis which is £5 a week excluding transport (it's an hours walk away and isn't a good idea when I do not live in a good area). My weekly budget (including food) is £35 a week which I know is more than what some people have. My family give me £50 a month but I don't feel like I can ask for anything else from them, any suggestions on what I could do?

TLDR: I have a part time job yet still struggle to eat, any suggestions on what I can do?
    Do you have a student bank account with an interest free overdraft?
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:

Any possibility of cheaper rent for you? Pick the society that suits you best rather than trying to do everything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student-95)
    Loan, more work, sell stuff
    I can't physically work anymore hours, my boss doesn't have any he can give me

ReputationRep:
    You could look for work elsewhere
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Are there any scholarships/bursaries that you are missing out on? Going to the student's union for advice might be a good idea?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    Any possibility of cheaper rent for you? Pick the society that suits you best rather than trying to do everything.
    Nope my rent is £89 a week including bills. This semester it was cheaper because we had to put a £200 deposit down when he signed the contract so next semester I am even more screwed as my rent is more expensive. I'm only a member of 1 yet I need to volunteer to get my hours in for my masters.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blue_Cow)
    Are there any scholarships/bursaries that you are missing out on? Going to the student's union for advice might be a good idea?

Nope sadly not, I've looked and the only thing is a hardship fund but I don't really think I would get that.

(Original post by Student-95)
    You could look for work elsewhere
    I'm trying but it's not as simple as that. I need something that will fit around my studies and with a city that has so many students in it's very difficult
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Nope my rent is £89 a week including bills. This semester it was cheaper because we had to put a £200 deposit down when he signed the contract so next semester I am even more screwed as my rent is more expensive. I'm only a member of 1 yet I need to volunteer to get my hours in for my masters.
    £89 isn't cheap in some cities, is it a house share?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    £89 isn't cheap in some cities, is it a house share?
    That's about right for my city, the cheapest is like £75 but that's excluding bills. Yeah it is a house share, nothing special really everything is falling apart and I'm in a contract I can't get out of.

ReputationRep:

Spend less on food (£20 a week - easily done - cut out meat. Straight away you've cut your price down)
    Sell a load of stuff
    Get a job

ReputationRep:
    Why not talk to your family? I'm sure they want to help you if you explain how hard things are atm.

ReputationRep:
    Next time you see your parents you could ask them to do a "bulk shop" for you. Just buy things like pasta / rise in bulk bags. Just mention it may help you because you are struggling.

I can easily do a 15 pound a week food shop if im good, thats with one item of meat (Normally eaten over 2 days). £20 is more comfortable.

Also yes look for another job if you can.

ReputationRep:
    You could take part in the studies and focus groups that get emailed around by universities. Usually it's for amazon vouchers or similar but those could still help with extraneous expenses.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.