Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm in year twelve and I currently study English lit along with biology,chemistry, German and Welsh bacc (bane of my life but compulsory🙄). I'm thinking of doing medicine at uni and so I need my sciences, which I love anyway. I really enjoy all my chosen subjects and at the moment the work load is tolerable but I'm just worried that when it comes to mocks, the English will get in the way of my other subjects ( we study Jane eyre, a streetcar named desire and 72 poems !!)
    I would be grateful for any advice or to hear from people in a similar situation 😊

Sorry I forgot to mention: I'm in Wales and was going to stick it out until after AS so I still have something to show for it but not sure whether to wait until then or to drop it now
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Drop Literature. Drop it like a hot potato. Throw it like a grenade.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm in Year 13 studying Biology, Chemistry and English Lit. I did German at AS and dropped it because of the workload, similarly to you, I didn't want it to get in the way of my other subjects. German is a hard A level and for me I knew English would be easier going into Year 13, as I found to get an A in German I had to think about it a lot more than I probably should have been - I'm sure this is the case at A level too, unless you are really confident. For me, learning some texts and writing fairly similar essays using similar skills seems better than practically learning a language, and having to speak, read, write and listen to it to get at least a grade A.

I've applied for Medicine 2018 entry, with bio, chem and English, and I really miss German - I definitely enjoy it as a subject a lot more than English. As someone put it to me, you won't be doing any of them beyond A levels really anyway, and you can always continue learning and speaking German as a hobby, so definitely pick whichever subject is easier for you, I'm sure you know you'll need no less than an A. But, I wouldn't make a judgement this early on into the year, it's very much early stages, especially for German. I'd wait and see how you feel more towards the end of the year, German definitely becomes more demanding as you go through the Year 1 course.

Good luck with whatever you decide, if you want to ask anything else or whatever feel free to PM me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jsg9)
    Hi, I'm in Year 13 studying Biology, Chemistry and English Lit. I did German at AS and dropped it because of the workload, similarly to you, I didn't want it to get in the way of my other subjects. German is a hard A level and for me I knew English would be easier going into Year 13, as I found to get an A in German I had to think about it a lot more than I probably should have been - I'm sure this is the case at A level too, unless you are really confident. For me, learning some texts and writing fairly similar essays using similar skills seems better than practically learning a language, and having to speak, read, write and listen to it to get at least a grade A.

I've applied for Medicine 2018 entry, with bio, chem and English, and I really miss German - I definitely enjoy it as a subject a lot more than English. As someone put it to me, you won't be doing any of them beyond A levels really anyway, and you can always continue learning and speaking German as a hobby, so definitely pick whichever subject is easier for you, I'm sure you know you'll need no less than an A. But, I wouldn't make a judgement this early on into the year, it's very much early stages, especially for German. I'd wait and see how you feel more towards the end of the year, German definitely becomes more demanding as you go through the Year 1 course.

Good luck with whatever you decide, if you want to ask anything else or whatever feel free to PM me
    Thank you so much, this has made me feel so much better about it ! ( it's nice to get advice from someone who went through literally the same thing last year 😅) Good luck with your applications and I'll be sure to PM you if I need to ask anything else 😊

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.