ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psychedeliyaa)
    I've found this sequence and I can't find a way to solve it yet:
    Help please!
    Where did you get this from?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Notnek)
    Where did you get this from?
    A friend passed it on, not sure where she got it from.
    Any ideas?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    A friend passed it on, not sure where she got it from.
    Any ideas?
    Look at these two sequences separately:

1, 1, 2, 6, ...
    6, 6, 12, 36, ...

What do you notice i.e. how do you get from one term to the next?

ReputationRep:
    Look at these two sequences separately:

1, 1, 2, 6, ...
    6, 6, 12, 36, ...

What do you notice i.e. how do you get from one term to the next?
    Yes I did notice a 1x1, 1x2, 2x3 pattern, but I'm not sure exactly why there is a 6,6, why on earth did it repeat itself after 3 times, what is this type of sequence called?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Yes I did notice a 1x1, 1x2, 2x3 pattern, but I'm not sure exactly why there is a 6,6, why on earth did it repeat itself after 3 times, what is this type of sequence called?
    The pattern is x1, x2, x3, x1, x2, x3 etc.

So if it were to continue the next three terms would come from x1, x2, x3 to give

36, 72, 216.

This sequence isn't called anything but it follows a logical pattern. I don't know what the context of this is so I can't give any more details - it feels like something you'd see in an IQ test.

ReputationRep:
    The pattern is x1, x2, x3, x1, x2, x3 etc.

So if it were to continue the next three terms would come from x1, x2, x3 to give

36, 72, 216.

This sequence isn't called anything but it follows a logical pattern. I don't know what the context of this is so I can't give any more details - it feels like something you'd see in an IQ test.
    1, 1, 2, 6, 6, 12, 36, 72
    x1 x2 x3 x1 x2 x3 x4

Why would there be a repeat, a sort of glitch even in the sequence if it seems to promise a consecutive ascendance?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    1, 1, 2, 6, 6, 12, 36, 72
    x1 x2 x3 x1 x2 x3 x4

Why would there be a repeat, a sort of glitch even in the sequence if it seems to promise a consecutive ascendance?
    I don't think it would be x4 next otherwise the sequence wouldn't follow a logical pattern - there would be a glitch as you say. The pattern is actually

x1 x2 x3 x1 x2 x3 x1 x2 x3

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it would be x4 next otherwise the sequence wouldn't follow a logical pattern - there would be a glitch as you say. The pattern is actually

x1 x2 x3 x1 x2 x3 x1 x2 x3
    x1 x2 x3 x1 x2 x3 x1 x2 x3 is a wonderful pattern.
    But if that were the case, then woudn't it be
    1, 1, 2, 6, 6, 12, 36, 36, 72, 216
    instead? But the 36 doesn't repeat. So what is really going on here? It's spooky how well it has to concealed its pattern.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    x1 x2 x3 x1 x2 x3 x1 x2 x3 is a wonderful pattern.
    But if that were the case, then woudn't it be
    1, 1, 2, 6, 6, 12, 36, 36, 72, 216
    instead? But the 36 doesn't repeat. So what is really going on here? It's spooky how well it has to concealed its pattern.
    In your OP you only gave the first 7 terms so I assumed the next terms would be 36, 72, 216. Were there more terms given that you didn't post?

ReputationRep:
    In your OP you only gave the first 7 terms so I assumed the next terms would be 36, 72, 216. Were there more terms given that you didn't post?
    It was originally
    1, 1, 2, 6, 6, 12, 36, 72, and then find the next term. I wonder if this is a great mystery of the universe or just a typo? Probably the latter because I've actually googled this and nothing's come up.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    It was originally
    1, 1, 2, 6, 6, 12, 36, 72, and then find the next term. I wonder if this is a great mystery of the universe or just a typo? Probably the latter because I've actually googled this and nothing's come up.
    I don't know what the pattern is or if there even is one. I'm not going to spend any more time with this because I have no idea where your friend got this from and what the context is.

It would have saved a lot of time if you posted the full question at the start.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know what the pattern is or if there even is one. I'm not going to spend any more time with this because I have no idea where your friend got this from and what the context is.

It would have saved a lot of time if you posted the full question at the start.
    Well thanks a lot, you were great. I'll carry on your curiosity flame with me. I'll let you know if I figured it out if you want.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Well thanks a lot, you were great. I'll carry on your curiosity flame with me. I'll let you know if I figured it out if you want.
    Maybe the pattern is

x1, x2, x3, x1, x2, x3, x4, x1, x2, x3, x4, x5, x1 etc.

But that's getting tenuous now and there aren't enough numbers given to conclude that this is the pattern. I don't recommend spending any more time on it unless it's homework.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.