The Student Room Group

Is that too much of a difference?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuyNnm0lwBw

^ incredible song by The Pigeon Detectives, but it brings up the question of how much is too much when it comes to an age difference in a relationship?

Do you think a 17 year old dating a 22 year old is unacceptable?
Original post by _Luna

^ incredible song by The Pigeon Detectives, but it brings up the question of how much is too much when it comes to an age difference in a relationship?

Nah, i dont think so. I think because both are young, there will be raised eyebrows.

However, if i ask whether 23 year old dating a 29 year old is wrong, you would probably say no. Then you move their years back a bit and realise that the 23 year old was 14 when the 29 year old was 20.

As long as you are both adults, then i think it is okay.
Reply 2
It depends a lot on the maturity difference between both partners I think, because an 11 year old dating a 16 year old couldn't begin to be on the same emotional, intellectual and physical level of maturity as the 16 year old. The closer the younger gets to 18 the more balanced it is.

Original post by Wired_1800
Nah, i dont think so. I think because both are young, there will be raised eyebrows.

However, if i ask whether 23 year old dating a 29 year old is wrong, you would probably say no. Then you move their years back a bit and realise that the 23 year old was 14 when the 29 year old was 20.

As long as you are both adults, then i think it is okay.
Original post by _Luna
It depends a lot on the maturity difference between both partners I think, because an 11 year old dating a 16 year old couldn't begin to be on the same emotional, intellectual and physical level of maturity as the 16 year old. The closer the younger gets to 18 the more balanced it is.

To me, both must be adults. Ideally above the age of 18 will be best based on the factors you mentioned.

My mate's dad is about 11 years older than his mom. So when he was a grown man at 22, she was just starting secondary school at 11.

I think age difference blurs when they get above 20. Besides, women mature faster than their peers, so you can see a 25 year old woman married with a kid, but a 25 year old man still figuring out his life in his parents' house.
Original post by _Luna

I think the older each of the people are the less age difference matters. But I'm 22 and would find it weird/uncomfortable dating someone that was 17 but if I was dating someone that was 27 I wouldnt care about the age difference
Depends on the people tbh. I got with my ex when I was 16 and he was 21, obviously there were raised eyebrows but we were together for nearly 6 years. We got together because we'd both just lost parents and felt a genuine connection. If it's obvious the man is taking advantage of a young girl etc then that's obviously....not okay.

Now I'm 24 and with someone who's 11 years older and nobody says anything about it. As said above when you get older people take less notice of age difference.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending