Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

V1297 - Prison Reform Bill 2017 Watch

• View Poll Results: Should this bill be passed into law?
    As many are of the opinion, Aye
    64.44%
    On the contrary, No
    35.56%
    Abstain
    0%

• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    V1297 - Prison Reform Bill 2017, TSR Government

Prison Reform Bill 2017

An Act to increase rehabilitation by removing obstacles to released prisoners and restricting custodial sentences to those deemed a risk to the public.

BE IT ENACTED by The Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the consent of the Commons in this present parliament assembled, in accordance with the provisions of the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949, and by the authority of the same, as follows:-

PART I.
    REHABILITATION OF OFFENDERS

1 Amends The Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974, sec. (5) Table A-

(a) A custodial sentence of more than 30 months and up to, or consisting of, 48 months

(i) The end of the period of 7 years beginning with the day on which the sentence (including any licence period) is completed

(ii) The end of the period of 42 months beginning with the day on which the sentence (including any licence period) is completed

to;

(a) A custodial sentence of more than 30 months and up to, or consisting of, 48 months

(i) The end of the period of 3years beginning with the day on which the sentence (including any licence period) is completed

(ii) The end of the period of 24 months beginning with the day on which the sentence (including any licence period) is completed

2 Amends The Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974, sec. (5) Table A-

(a) A custodial sentence of more than 6 months and up to, or consisting of, 30 months

(i) The end of the period of 48 months beginning with the day on which the sentence (including any licence period) is completed

(ii) The end of the period of 24 months beginning with the day on which the sentence (including any licence period) is completed

to;

(a) A custodial sentence of more than 6 months and up to, or consisting of, 30 months

(i) The end of the period of 24 months beginning with the day on which the sentence (including any licence period) is completed

(ii) The end of the period of 18 months beginning with the day on which the sentence (including any licence period) is completed

3 Amends The Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974, sec. (5) Table A-

(a) A custodial sentence of 6 months or less

(i) The end of the period of 24 months beginning with the day on which the sentence (including any licence period) is completed

(ii) The end of the period of 18 months beginning with the day on which the sentence (including any licence period) is completed

to;

(a) A custodial sentence of 6 months or less

(i) The end of the period of 12 months beginning with the date of the conviction in respect of which the sentence is imposed

(ii) The end of the period of 9 months beginning with the day on which the sentence (including any licence period) is completed

4 Amends The Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974, sec. (5) Table A-

(a) A fine

(i) The end of the period of 12 months beginning with the date of the conviction in respect of which the sentence is imposed

(ii) The end of the period of 6 months beginning with the date of the conviction in respect of which the sentence is imposed

to;

(a) A fine

(i) The end of the period of 6 months beginning with the date of the conviction in respect of which the sentence is imposed

(ii) The end of the period of 3 months beginning with the date of the conviction in respect of which the sentence is imposed

5 Amends The Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974, sec. (5) Table A-

(a) A community or youth rehabilitation order

(ii) The end of the period of 6 months beginning with the day provided for by or under the order as the last day on which the order is to have effect

to;

(a) A community or youth rehabilitation order

(i) The end of the period of 6 months beginning with the date of the conviction in respect of which the sentence is imposed

(ii) The end of the period of 3 months beginning with the day provided for by or under the order as the last day on which the order is to have effect

6 Inserts into The Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974, sec. (4)

(5) Subject to 6.(4)(a) The judge may choose to restart the original time of rehabilitation where,

(a) the extension on rehabilitation does not surpass the rehabilitation period for the maximum sentence for the crime in question.

PART II.
    REFORM OF PRISONS

7 Appends The Criminal Juctice Act 2003 sec 142(1)(a)-

where,

(i) this is not the sole reason as given by sec.142(1) when sentencing.

8 Prisons will provide literacy and numeracy programs up to at leave level 2 and must also provide at least one vocational training route where,

(a) the prison does not hold only prisoners who will stay on a short term basis where,

(i) ‘short term’ here applied to under 6 months

(b) the vocational trade route should be based on trades in demand in the area where the prison is located.

PART III.
    COMMENCEMENT, SHORT TITLE AND EXTENT

9 This Act shall come into force 1st April 2019

10 This Act may be cited as the Prison Reform Act 2017

11 This Act extends to the whole of the United Kingdom

Notes1-5: Reduces time for a conviction to become spent.

6: Allows for this time to be extended as part of a punishment for further offences.

7: Removes punishment from being a sole reason for a custodial sentence. Note that it can still form part of a punishment. Where there is no threat to the public and no need for prison as a means to enforce rehabilitation other forms of punishment should be used.

8: Provides all prisoners with sentences lasting more than 6 months with access to literacy, numeracy and a trade. This helps create opportunities for rehabilitation.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Order!
    The Ayes to the right, 29.
    The Noes to the left, 16.
    Abstentions, 0.

I think the Ayes have it! The Ayes have it! Unlock!!

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 12, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Debate and current affairs forum guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.