Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

American student here to answer questions about US applications Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi! Right now I'm a senior at a private college prep high school in California, so I know a lot about US college apps. I've worked with some of the best college counselors in my area on the common app and University of California application, so if you have any questions at all I'd be happy to answer them to the best of my abilities.

ReputationRep:
    how does it feel knowing a buffoon is your president?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eden3)
    how does it feel knowing a buffoon is your president?
    Every morning I wake up and check twitter for the latest update from our Orange Overlord. I then listen to my conservative friends defend him loyally as I stare into the camera like I'm on The Office (US version of course). Not my president, I think to myself. Not my president.

Later, in my US Government and Politics class, we learn that what American voters value most in a candidate is integrity, reliability, and competence. That's fine, it's probably just an outdated book apparently.

So then I open my laptop and start browsing TSR again, hoping soon to send off my UCAS application and get off this sinking ship by this time next year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blairca)
    Every morning I wake up and check twitter for the latest update from our Orange Overlord. I then listen to my conservative friends defend him loyally as I stare into the camera like I'm on The Office (US version of course). Not my president, I think to myself. Not my president.

Later, in my US Government and Politics class, we learn that what American voters value most in a candidate is integrity, reliability, and competence. That's fine, it's probably just an outdated book apparently.

So then I open my laptop and start browsing TSR again, hoping soon to send off my UCAS application and get off this sinking ship by this time next year.
    yeah, his supporters are straight up delusional lol.

So you're going to the UK for university? What universities have you been looking at (if you have been already)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eden3)
    yeah, his supporters are straight up delusional lol.

So you're going to the UK for university? What universities have you been looking at (if you have been already)?
    I really like KCL and LSE for history and international relations, and I'm applying to TCD as well. I would've applied oxbridge but I missed the deadline, plus I'm not really looking for an environment like that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blairca)
    I really like KCL and LSE for history and international relations, and I'm applying to TCD as well. I would've applied oxbridge but I missed the deadline, plus I'm not really looking for an environment like that.
    Hmm interesting. Just a word of warning, LSE is extremely depressing/boring/competitive from what I've been told by friends IRL and on here

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eden3)
    Hmm interesting. Just a word of warning, LSE is extremely depressing/boring/competitive from what I've been told by friends IRL and on here
    I've heard that too. It's not my top choice but it's a great school in a great location. I don't have much of a chance of getting in though, the entry requirements are kind of unrealistic for the way my school is organized.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    How would you describe the teaching in the US?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by y.u.mad.bro?)
    How would you describe the teaching in the US?
    I'm only in high school so most of my classes are small, with about 25 people, and a lot of it is test-focused. Most university classes are taught in large lecture halls with upwards of a hundred students, although there are lots of smaller classes taught in university. It depends on how big of a school you attend. In the big classes, professors aren't able to interact much with students in class, but there are usually office hours you can attend if you have any questions.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.