Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Is it worth telling my school about my anxiety? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I am currently in year 13 and have been diagnosed with anxiety. It has got a lot worse this year and I have panic attacks at school pretty much every day. Camhs has essentially told me my anxiety isn't severe enough to get help, and my GP won't refer me again despite getting a lot worse this year. So I am wondering, is it worth telling school with only a few months left? What support did your school give you for mental health issues? (I already do exams in a separate room because of my anxiety, but this went through my exams officer not head of year)

Thank you so much!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ngl what will school do for you. My school doesnt offer much support and all you get to see if some bad counsellor

I know someone who did, they told our year head, she was an absolute gem about it, and we managed to sort most of the problems through planning and knowing what was going on when and where via the year head

ReputationRep:
    i would definitely recommend telling your school. I was in a similar position last year and i'm so glad i told them as they will probably have some sort of system or something in place that can help you.

ReputationRep:
    I told my school about it at the end of last school year (Year 12) when I had a mock exam in the hall and before I felt so sick that I started gagging and feeling like I was going to throw up. I just bailed and sat in the study hall for a while and a senior team member came and asked me about why I wasn't in the exam and I told him I can feel a bit sick sometimes thinking it was nothing. I'm glad that he picked up that it was anxiety because now I have a doctors note allowing me to do my real exam in a separate place that is comfortable for me and because I became very anxious about the last few weeks of school last year. I would feel sick as I approached and want to stay at home. They were very understanding and didn't give me detentions for it. Now I don't go to study hall and you usually get a detention but they haven't even asked me about it because I'm guessing they know it's likely anxiety. It really has made going to school easier for me.

I do see a counsellor at school which I do find a drag to go to in my frees for an hour every fortnight but I now gets CAHMS therapy so I no longer have that at school, which wasn't totally useless.

You may not get the same experience but in today's world any good school should be understanding with all the mental health awareness that is spread.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's always worth mentioning because nothing bad can really come from it (unless they try to invalidate your experience - don't let them get to you if they do that!!!) and if they know you're struggling you might be able to talk to a teacher or someone else maybe. It really depends on the school!

ReputationRep:
    Definitely worth mentioning, anxiety used to effect my performances during exams and I have been diagnosed. So I get extra time at my university because of it and get to do them in a smaller room instead of the big exam halls.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by stressedpotato)
    Hi, I am currently in year 13 and have been diagnosed with anxiety. It has got a lot worse this year and I have panic attacks at school pretty much every day. Camhs has essentially told me my anxiety isn't severe enough to get help, and my GP won't refer me again despite getting a lot worse this year. So I am wondering, is it worth telling school with only a few months left? What support did your school give you for mental health issues? (I already do exams in a separate room because of my anxiety, but this went through my exams officer not head of year)

Thank you so much!
    Yup. Totally worth it (and college when you go). They can give you bits of help like separate rooms and also help you get in touch with a counselling service which could be a great help for you if CAMHS won't see you atm.
    You might have to ask about counselling yourself cos it isn't necessarily something they will suggest, but they should have a school counsellor or links to a service you can use.

Hope that helps

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 29, 2017
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.