Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Veterinary medicine with medicine ps? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Would it be possible to apply to veterinary medicine with a medicine personal statement? I have no vet experience because I am focusing on medicine as that is my number one dream but veterinary medicine is my second.

Also, is it allowed to apply to 4 medicine and 1 veterinary med?

ReputationRep:
    No, that would negate the purpose of having a 5th choice of uni, because Veterinary Medicine is harder to get onto than Medicine. Generally, your 5th choice should be a back up, one that you're more likely to get onto.You also need a lot of work experience to get onto the vet course, you would get automatically rejected if you had no work experience.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 6573282)
    No, that would negate the purpose of having a 5th choice of uni, because Veterinary Medicine is harder to get onto than Medicine. Generally, your 5th choice should be a back up, one that you're more likely to get onto.You also need a lot of work experience to get onto the vet course, you would get automatically rejected if you had no work experience.
    Okay thank you, I was under the misconception that medicine was much harder
    • TSR Support Team
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Veterinary medicine is incredibly competitive and I highly doubt any university would even consider your application with a medicine PS. I'd advise you to either leave the 5th space empty or apply for something like biomed if you want a backup!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Not to mention, you can't even apply to vet med without vet work experience...

ReputationRep:
    Veterinary schools reject people who dream of becoming vets non stop. They wouldn't even consider someone applying with an irrelevant personal statement, nevermind a lack of work experience or anything to show you want the degree.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    As others have said, you would not have a chance of getting into veterinary, but that as a moot point because you cannot apply for more than four medicine, veterinary medicine or dentistry courses on UCAS.

Veterinary medicine cannot be treated as a 'backup'. You need much more work experience than applying for medicine and your lack of decication (to vet med, I'm not questioning your interest in medicine), will show.

I wish you the best of luck with your medicine application.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Tail Chaser)
    but that as a moot point because you cannot apply for more than four medicine, veterinary medicine or dentistry courses on UCAS.
    It's 4 of the same subject. So you could technically apply to 4 med and 1 vetmed.
    I remember I added medicine as my 5th after talking to one of the unis and UCAS was ok with me proceeding. (I didn't apply in the end though haha)

ReputationRep:
    You can apply to some veterinary medicine gateway courses that don't need work experience e.g. The royal veterinary college, however it will be highly unlikely to get accepted so I suggest sticking to biomedicine as a backup
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.