Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Would it be possible to apply to veterinary medicine with a medicine personal statement? I have no vet experience because I am focusing on medicine as that is my number one dream but veterinary medicine is my second.

Also, is it allowed to apply to 4 medicine and 1 veterinary med?

ReputationRep:
    No, that would negate the purpose of having a 5th choice of uni, because Veterinary Medicine is harder to get onto than Medicine. Generally, your 5th choice should be a back up, one that you're more likely to get onto.You also need a lot of work experience to get onto the vet course, you would get automatically rejected if you had no work experience.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 6573282)
    No, that would negate the purpose of having a 5th choice of uni, because Veterinary Medicine is harder to get onto than Medicine. Generally, your 5th choice should be a back up, one that you're more likely to get onto.You also need a lot of work experience to get onto the vet course, you would get automatically rejected if you had no work experience.
    Okay thank you, I was under the misconception that medicine was much harder
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Veterinary medicine is incredibly competitive and I highly doubt any university would even consider your application with a medicine PS. I'd advise you to either leave the 5th space empty or apply for something like biomed if you want a backup!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Not to mention, you can't even apply to vet med without vet work experience...

ReputationRep:
    Veterinary schools reject people who dream of becoming vets non stop. They wouldn't even consider someone applying with an irrelevant personal statement, nevermind a lack of work experience or anything to show you want the degree.
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    As others have said, you would not have a chance of getting into veterinary, but that as a moot point because you cannot apply for more than four medicine, veterinary medicine or dentistry courses on UCAS.

Veterinary medicine cannot be treated as a 'backup'. You need much more work experience than applying for medicine and your lack of decication (to vet med, I'm not questioning your interest in medicine), will show.

I wish you the best of luck with your medicine application.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Tail Chaser)
    but that as a moot point because you cannot apply for more than four medicine, veterinary medicine or dentistry courses on UCAS.
    It's 4 of the same subject. So you could technically apply to 4 med and 1 vetmed.
    I remember I added medicine as my 5th after talking to one of the unis and UCAS was ok with me proceeding. (I didn't apply in the end though haha)

ReputationRep:
    You can apply to some veterinary medicine gateway courses that don't need work experience e.g. The royal veterinary college, however it will be highly unlikely to get accepted so I suggest sticking to biomedicine as a backup
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 12, 2017

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.