Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Racist, homophobic, bigoted mother... Watch

• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Yes....there is a danger of physical harm which should not be overlooked . I suppose in many ways it reflects and in some way justifies her fears and reasons for outrage against such groups of people . Many old people in more rural parts of the U.K. are equally suspicious of foreigners . Where we live it is extremely rare to see a Muslim or black person . I suppose it's rare these days , but that's the way it is . No doubt , the waves of 'cultural enrichment ' will one day darken the peace and solitude of our rural idyll . Sheep rustlers will soon have to learn how to become Halal butchers .....perish the thought .
    If she stays within a community that allows such behaviour then she is free to do what she wants. However, if she ventures out with such views, then she may be prone to a bad experience.

I disagree with this idea of "freedom of speech" where one is allowed to say hateful, offensive, racist or bigoted things without any reaction. If you make an antisemitic comment at me, I would smash your face in.

People are changing though. I know a kid, who used racist language and the N word against some kids from our neighbourhood. He got so badly beaten up that he spent days in the hospital.

Nobody exposed the guys and neither did I, because he was vile and racist. I also heard the guy and his family are moving, so it is good for our community.

Just help your mom to help herself. We are no longer in the 40's, where it was ok.

ReputationRep:
    Hey! I'm a Muslim girl and its sad that people have such views, however i do believe that everyone is entitled to their opinion (and so your mum) - BUT what's not acceptable is the way in which she expresses them - (by verbally downgrading specific groups for instance) I don't think that she can be rationally justified in having those opinions however (I agree that opinions can be wrong especially when they are not justified), when it appears that she is very narrow-minded and perhaps has little knowledge about these cultures and their importance in society. i think its very understandable why you are different from her! You are clearly well-educated and cultured and doing psychology is an added bonus as you can understand the human mind - I know you have said that its been very hard to get her to change her views, but i think there's a hidden blessing in the fact that you have such different views yet you have a close relationship - maybe that's what you can use to help her understand what's right, since you are someone, i presume, she loves and trusts. (yes what's right is subjective, but its evident that her views are not egalitarian, so there is an issue with her views as it does affect how people are viewed in society and everyone should be equal) Maybe you could ask her why she has such views? (if you haven't already) if you can understand that, maybe you will come to understand how you can enlighten her

(Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.)
    Bigot. n

A person who is intolerant towards those holding different opinions.

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/bigot

Your point here is that you are smarter than her and yet she retains views opposite to your own. That still makes you the bigot, for wishing to put your foot down. I doubt when she is spewing her venom, her unreasoned appeals to Enoch Powell, and you're quoting Russell Brand and that lad out of JLS, you are not overly willing to consider her points.
    You've just given a definition that rephrased what I said. If intolerance is what you want to highlight, then me wanting to understand and her resorting to insults makes her the intolerant one. Surprisingly I'm very calm in arguments, I rarely raise my voice, and listen to all points. You may not believe that but it's true. I then replay it in my mind again and again afterwards. So yes other people's points are considered. Would you say that's more tolerant than blind rage and insult?
    Did not say I'm smarter than her, but that I'm willing to discuss and she isn't.

(Original post by Wired_1800)
    If she stays within a community that allows such behaviour then she is free to do what she wants. However, if she ventures out with such views, then she may be prone to a bad experience.

I disagree with this idea of "freedom of speech" where one is allowed to say hateful, offensive, racist or bigoted things without any reaction. If you make an antisemitic comment at me, I would smash your face in.

People are changing though. I know a kid, who used racist language and the N word against some kids from our neighbourhood. He got so badly beaten up that he spent days in the hospital.
    Nobody exposed the guys and neither did I, because he was vile and racist. I also heard the guy and his family are moving, so it is good for our community.

Just help your mom to help herself. We are no longer in the 40's, where it was ok.

The imporant bit I suppose is your desire or perceived ability to " smash my face in " if I made an antisemitic remark ....

OK pinocchio ...you win .
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    The imporant bit I suppose is your desire or perceived ability to " smash my face in " if I made an antisemitic remark ....

OK pinocchio ...you win .
    First, you hide behind an Anonymous tag, then you make such comment.

I guess it is our generation, hiding behind a keyboard.

ReputationRep:
    You've just given a definition that rephrased what I said. If intolerance is what you want to highlight, then me wanting to understand and her resorting to insults makes her the intolerant one. Surprisingly I'm very calm in arguments, I rarely raise my voice, and listen to all points. You may not believe that but it's true. I then replay it in my mind again and again afterwards. So yes other people's points are considered. Would you say that's more tolerant than blind rage and insult?
    Did not say I'm smarter than her, but that I'm willing to discuss and she isn't.
    I was talking about her tolerance towards third parties, not towards you, because people generally use the word bigot to refer to racists and people of that ilk. Not simply mothers who insult their offspring.

Though, you're objectively describing an argument that you are in. It is difficult to be objective in those situations, and people are tempted to oversimplify and reduce the arguments of others, especially those who have contemptible views. As you did with your pseudo-definition of bigot. Might your thinking you are right and reasonable be misfounded?

ReputationRep:

An opinion to me is preferring red over blue, not supporting mass genocide. I'd like to understand why she feels the way she does, but it is impossible.
    lmao sorry bro but an opinion can be supporting mass genocide. An opinion is an individual's own view, so ya it is her opinion.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 7, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.