Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Before you think this is another one of those threads, please read it all.

I achieved A*A*A* at A-level last year (English Literature, History & Biology respectively.) I never took revision seriously until Y13 when I started really putting in the work, and it definitely paid off. The dream has always been Cambridge, it was surreal to me before last year as I knew I had no chance considering my GCSE/AS results. As good as my A-level results may be, I don't think they're enough, however I still thought I'd come on TSR as I know there's a lot of Cambridge students here.

GCSE grades: A*ABBBBBBC
    AS grades: ABCD
    A-Level grades: A*A*A*

I also go to a very poor performing school, would this add anything to my application? Honestly, the only reason I didn't perform as well in my GCSEs/AS levels were largely down to the fact that I had no motivation in those years and didn't study at all, aswell a thinking I was 'naturally intelligent' until the truth hit me in full force after my AS grades.

tl;dr

Can I get into History at Cambridge with A*A*A* A-levels but poor GCSEs and AS grades?

ReputationRep:
    Cannot contribute too much to this discussion, however, Ibz Mo (a popular Cambridge youtuber) had the same AS grades as you as well as having worse GCSE grades; he came out with A*A*A in his A-Levels and he studies HSPS at the university now, so it is definitely possible.

ReputationRep:
    Just to let you know A*A*A* at A Level for Cambridge means you are guaranteed an interview and also are guaranteed into the pool. Only 3A*+ secures this. The average Cambridge student achieves 2.9A*’s (so 3 basically) and for the arts and humanities I believe it’s closer to 2. Plus you’ll actually have your grades vs those who just have predictions.

I am in a similar situation I achieved 3A* but got average GCSE’s by Cambridge standard.

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry too much about your GCSEs, Cambridge will look at your grades contextually. Plus, it shows how much you improved between GCSE's and A Levels. You'll never know if you can get in unless you try. Best of luck, hope you get in

ReputationRep:
    With 3A*'s in the bag, you've pretty much met the conditions. Cambridge will highly likely give you an invitation to interview. They don't really take into account GCSEs that much nor is there a minimum GCSE grade requirement for their courses either. They look at how their applicants grow and meet their potential overtime. I'd say, go for it! No one is going to stop you
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by NAV_METROBOOMIN)
    tl;dr

Can I get into History at Cambridge with A*A*A* A-levels but poor GCSEs and AS grades?
    Yes you can.

BUT have you applied? If not you've missed the Oxbridge deadline...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GovernmentEarner)
    Just to let you know A*A*A* at A Level for Cambridge means you are guaranteed an interview and also are guaranteed into the pool. Only 3A*+ secures this. The average Cambridge student achieves 2.9A*’s (so 3 basically) and for the arts and humanities I believe it’s closer to 2. Plus you’ll actually have your grades vs those who just have predictions.

I am in a similar situation I achieved 3A* but got average GCSE’s by Cambridge standard.
    I don't think this is entirely true as I have a friend who had A*A*A* for A-levels in maths, physics and chemistry and A in further maths AS plus A* in EPQ who applied for computer science at Kings college and he recently received a rejection without offer of an interview, albeit his GCSE's were significantly below the cambridge average
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by ckoppula199)
    I don't think this is entirely true as I have a friend who had A*A*A* for A-levels in maths, physics and chemistry and A in further maths AS plus A* in EPQ who applied for computer science at Kings college and he recently received a rejection without offer of an interview, albeit his GCSE's were significantly below the cambridge average
    Were those grades predicted or achieved?

If they were achieved they would be guaranteed at least an interview due to the Winter Pool requirements.

His GCSEs are not a factor.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    Yes you can.

BUT have you applied? If not you've missed the Oxbridge deadline...
    I had actually already applied but wasn't sure how to feel after the admissions test as I didn't think I did well enough to get in, paired with the fact that I got well below the average GCSE/AS grades - guess I just needed a confidence boost! Received my invitation for an interview at Downing yesterday, thank you.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    I had actually already applied but wasn't sure how to feel after the admissions test as I didn't think I did well enough to get in, paired with the fact that I got well below the average GCSE/AS grades - guess I just needed a confidence boost! Received my invitation for an interview at Downing yesterday, thank you.
    Good luck

ReputationRep:
    What subject are you applying for? I am still waiting to hear from Downing for English

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.