Is Big O notation a thing in maths?

Watch
Fblaze1
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I just wanted to see if Big O notation is a thing that comes up in maths, since I've only learned about it in computer science but it seems like a handy tool for describing the overall shape of graphs and whatnot. I've just started my A levels btw.
Ellieg333
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
O means origin of a graph (0,0)
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
it can stand for Order
GPiph
Badges: 16
Report 2 years ago
It is a thing in maths. There's also a little o notation and ~ notation in common use.
Blue_Cow
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Fblaze1)
I just wanted to see if Big O notation is a thing that comes up in maths, since I've only learned about it in computer science but it seems like a handy tool for describing the overall shape of graphs and whatnot. I've just started my A levels btw.
I've not seen time complexities being used in my maths education so far, but I don't see why not considering it's just a measure of the time complexity an algorithm.
Fblaze1
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Well I specifically meant the features of Big O notation that allow you to reduce a complex polynomial to its most important feature, for example 3n^3+5n^2+7n+1 becomes O(n^3). Helps with just kinda concisely describing what kind of function you're dealing with.
DFranklin
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Fblaze1)
Well I specifically meant the features of Big O notation that allow you to reduce a complex polynomial to its most important feature, for example 3n^3+5n^2+7n+1 becomes O(n^3). Helps with just kinda concisely describing what kind of function you're dealing with.
Yes, this is all used in maths. Just be aware that in the mathematical usage, y saying something is O(n^3) has no implication that it grows as fast as n^3, only that it doesn't grow faster than that. So it would be correct (if strange) to say that the expression is O(n^27), for example.

This sometimes confuses computer scientists, although I think most good courses use the same definition.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (22)
17.19%
I'm not sure (3)
2.34%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (42)
32.81%
I have already dropped out (3)
2.34%
I'm not a current university student (58)
45.31%

Watched Threads