Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Which Sixth Form should I go to? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    First of all, I have quite unusual and rare circumstances but hear me out

The secondary school that I currently go to is rated Outstanding and has a very good lower school (years 7-11). It seems that this is less of a case when it comes to the sixth form though, especially in the science department where many people end up with low grades. Despite this, somebody last year ended up going to Cambridge to do Medicine. On top of this, one of my parents is a teacher at my school so I have the benefits that come with that although this has been something that became quite annoying/awkward throughout my time at school for all sorts of reasons (I would recommend anyone who's parent is a teacher to not go to the same school that they work in). So, to sum up, staying at my current sixth would be the easy and comfortable option for me as it was for both of my older siblings who stayed there.

The thing is - I really want a change from my current school. I have many friends at my school etc. but I really like the idea of going to a new school in a different area to meet new people. I've done some research and near me there is a grammar school (also rated Outstanding) with ~300 students sixth form students (compared to ~200 ish at my current school) that offers places to external students with good grades. They also get better grades on average although it's not a huge difference. If I was to go there then I would have to walk for ~25 minutes to then take a bus which would be a 40 minute journey as it is twice as far away from me. Whereas, currently I just take a 15 minute car ride. I'm completely okay with this though. It's also worth noting that I think it would be very difficult to convince my parent's to let me go somewhere else as none of my two older siblings have done it before. Could anybody on here give my some advice on as to where I should go? Also, what is it like going to a new sixth form for anybody who made that change? Thanks for any replies on here in advance
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by LiveOnTSR)
    First of all, I have quite unusual and rare circumstances but hear me out

The secondary school that I currently go to is rated Outstanding and has a very good lower school (years 7-11). It seems that this is less of a case when it comes to the sixth form though, especially in the science department where many people end up with low grades. Despite this, somebody last year ended up going to Cambridge to do Medicine. On top of this, one of my parents is a teacher at my school so I have the benefits that come with that although this has been something that became quite annoying/awkward throughout my time at school for all sorts of reasons (I would recommend anyone who's parent is a teacher to not go to the same school that they work in). So, to sum up, staying at my current sixth would be the easy and comfortable option for me as it was for both of my older siblings who stayed there.

The thing is - I really want a change from my current school. I have many friends at my school etc. but I really like the idea of going to a new school in a different area to meet new people. I've done some research and near me there is a grammar school (also rated Outstanding) with ~300 students sixth form students (compared to ~200 ish at my current school) that offers places to external students with good grades. They also get better grades on average although it's not a huge difference. If I was to go there then I would have to walk for ~25 minutes to then take a bus which would be a 40 minute journey as it is twice as far away from me. Whereas, currently I just take a 15 minute car ride. I'm completely okay with this though. It's also worth noting that I think it would be very difficult to convince my parent's to let me go somewhere else as none of my two older siblings have done it before. Could anybody on here give my some advice on as to where I should go? Also, what is it like going to a new sixth form for anybody who made that change? Thanks for any replies on here in advance
    Talk to siblings and also the one that got into Cambridge.

Apply to the other school and go and look round.

Draw up a pros and cons and make your mind up. Your priority should be where you will do best o.e grades.

Happiness and time spent traveling are factors. As long as you make the best decision for you it will be the right one.

ReputationRep:
    Bump
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    you might have a long journey now but if you're planning on learning to drive/getting a car as you turn 17 it'll be easier in your second year.

it sounds like the further away one would be better for you but you need to do a pros and cons list to decide
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently in year 13 now and I chose to go to a different sixth form and it has honestly been the best decision of my life.

Yeah I had a few friends at high school and the reputation wasn't all that bad for the sixth form but I just needed to get out! I applied to a local sixth form college where everyone who went would be in the same position (new place, no friends etc.) This made it easy to make new friends and the place is so much more diverse.

I've also generally felt like I'm treated more like an adult than my friend who stayed at my high school sixth form and given a lot more independence and trust.

The travel can get a bit annoying though ending up on a bus that can take 1hr-1hr and a half to get in to the city and then a 20 minute walk to the college but you get used to it.

I can't say how you'll feel about moving and our sixth forms may be very different so take everything I say with a pinch of salt! However I've found moving has been the best thing for my mental health as it was deteriorating so fast at my high school and it's been an experience I wouldn't trade for anything.

Your best bet is to make a list if positives and negatives for each place and use that to decide!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.