Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seamus123)
    This from a mother of 7 - two of whom are gay and in 13 and 17 year relationships.
    Have a nice day. X
    ?

I thought you were male??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Texxers)
    Honestly, I don't see why people actually support the LGBT community. I don't see why it's so frowned upon for me to express my opinions on this issue. Just wanted to see what other TSR members thought of it..

And no I don't hide myself under Anon ever when it comes to controversial topics.

the answer to your question is that public opinion has clearly shifted on homosexuality, especially with the young

That's the first quote on this comment section that's actually credible in my eyes.
    Thanks

Just wanted to put it out there

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ANM775)
    ?

I thought you were male??

I personally don't think it matters whether you agree or not because everyone is entitled to their opinion. Is it that you just don't agree with it and you just get on with your life, or that you have your opinion and look down on people who don't agree with it?

ReputationRep:
    So I'm abnormal for having an opinion that's different to the average user on TSR 😂😂😂😂😂😂?
    That's what abnormal means, all right. It's not necessarily bad. In this case it sort of is, though.

ReputationRep:
    They love shoving their agenda up people's throats. Their little marches and anti-biological nature.
    Didn’t mean to rep you dude, clicked the wrong one. While I’m here, if it doesn’t hurt you, what reason do you have for hating it? There is nothing about shoving it up people’s throats, in fact people generally force heterosexuality onto young children and I’d say that’s much more like shoving it up people’s throats if you ask me. Also, I’ve seen a lot more heterosexual PDA in my time: partly because heterosexuals are the majority, partly because a lot of homosexual people are afraid of doing so for fear of prejudice. Pride is one time in the year where we can feel safety in numbers: that same safety that heterosexual people feel constantly. It sounds to me that you’ve let your distorted world view and innate prejudice warp your opinion.

Also if you wanna talk about marches that shove things down people’s throats, then lets talk about the KKK a largely heterosexual, homophobic and racist group. Obviously I’m not saying all heterosexuals are like this but I am saying that this particular group do a lot more harm than Pride, which surely you can equally understand. Also they do attempt to shove their agenda up people’s throats for sure.

ReputationRep:
    Honestly, I don't see why people actually support the LGBT community. I don't see why it's so frowned upon for me to express my opinions on this issue. Just wanted to see what other TSR members thought of it..

And no I don't hide myself under Anon ever when it comes to controversial topics.
    Being homophobic to me means to have a phobia of homosexuals.

A phobia, as best as I understand it, means someone having a persistent, irrational and excessive fear of a specific object, activity, or situation that leads to a compelling desire to avoid it. This is medically regarded as a mental disorder, hence anybody labelled as -phobic has an anxiety/mental disorder.

Based on that definition, I cannot understand why anyone would have an irrational fear of homosexuals especially when it is very unlikely an homosexual would be making a move on the person.

There should be a marked difference in defining a person as homophobic and defining them as unaccepting of homosexuality. Although in the world we live in now, these have been perfectly muddled up and a vast majority of people don't understand the difference. Anyone not in support of homosexuality is being labelled as an individual with an anxiety/mental disorder automatically.

To me, people should not be homophobic but they should be free to express themselves about their objections to homosexuality if they are so inclined.

I support your freedom to freely express your opinion on the issue, that itself is not an irrational fear and anxiety/mental disorder.

ReputationRep:
    The reason why I support it is very simple. Because "I DON'T GIVE A FK". Honestly, if you don't care that people are dying in Africa, then why would you care about who people choose to have sex with? As long as I am not intruded upon then please do whatever the fk you want. Another analogy is if you like making money and someone else chooses to work at McDonald's forever and have low income, I am pretty sure you won't go lecture them about why they should strive to be a billionaire. For me, the same goes for LGBT, I am attracted to girls but if Person A (Male) chooses to sleep with men, then I'm not going to waste my time explaining to them why girls are more attractive. So I think the world should just mind their own business and worry about themselves. If they did, then there wouldn't be a need for a LGBT movement.

If someone wants to make religious claims that it is against certain rules/laws, then I only have one thing to say. Oh b!tch please, people break religious rules all the time but none of you go crazy e.g lying, stealing, masturbating.

"Oh, it's unnatural!". Seriously... that's the best you can come up with? Technology, steroid use, agriculture, houses, clothing, condoms, medicine, school and etc are all unnatural. WE SHOULD ALL GO BOYCOTT MODERN LIFE!!!!!!!!

Ultimately, for me, homophobia is only wrong if you try to IMPOSE it because you aren't actually scared of gay people. You are scared of not being able to control society and run it the way you like (I use "you" generally throughout, not specifically attacking anyone). Therefore, if you hate gay people but don't shove it down anyone's throat, then I don't see anything wrong with it. Conversely, the same goes for LGBT people; if someone doesn't want to associate with you or like you because you are gay but they aren't restricting or abusing you in any way, then don't bloody force it on homophobes that they must like gay people. If you do, then you are at fault. People should just leave each other alone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RoyalBeams)

A phobia, as best as I understand it, means someone having a persistent, irrational and excessive fear of a specific object, activity, or situation that leads to a compelling desire to avoid it. This is medically regarded as a mental disorder, hence anybody labelled as -phobic has an anxiety/mental disorder.

Based on that definition, I cannot understand why anyone would have an irrational fear of homosexuals especially when it is very unlikely an homosexual would be making a move on the person.

There should be a marked difference in defining a person as homophobic and defining them as unaccepting of homosexuality. Although in the world we live in now, these have been perfectly muddled up and a vast majority of people don't understand the difference. Anyone not in support of homosexuality is being labelled as an individual with an anxiety/mental disorder automatically.

To me, people should not be homophobic but they should be free to express themselves about their objections to homosexuality if they are so inclined.

I support your freedom to freely express your opinion on the issue, that itself is not an irrational fear and anxiety/mental disorder.
    The term homophobic really isn't applicable. I doubt anyone really has a fear of homophobic people but merely different levels of acceptance. I have a phobia of dogs so I do what I can to avoid them, that isn't really what happens with "homophobic" people. Some people are completely fine whereas other feel it is wrong on every level. Just like sexuality, there is a highly varied spectrum.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    No that's not what homophobia means. Definitions of words change and you can't always just look at the roots to find the meaning.

ReputationRep:
    I got forced to be gay once.
    Nobody can force you to be gay, that statement is already wrong. You are born with whatever sexuality you are and that's it. People may realise different parts about their sexuality over time but people don't change from gay to straight or the other way around.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PhilandTheo)
    The reason why I support it is very simple. Because "I DON'T GIVE A FK". Honestly, if you don't care that people are dying in Africa, then why would you care about who people choose to have sex with? As long as I am not intruded upon then please do whatever the fk you want. Another analogy is if you like making money and someone else chooses to work at McDonald's forever and have low income, I am pretty sure you won't go lecture them about why they should strive to be a billionaire. For me, the same goes for LGBT, I am attracted to girls but if Person A (Male) chooses to sleep with men, then I'm not going to waste my time explaining to them why girls are more attractive. So I think the world should just mind their own business and worry about themselves. If they did mind their own business, then there wouldn't be a need for a LGBT movement.

If someone wants to make religious claims that it is against certain rules/laws, then I only have one thing to say. Oh b!tch please, people break religious rules all the time but none of you go crazy e.g lying, stealing, masturbating.

"Oh, it's unnatural!". Seriously... that's the best you can come up with? Technology, steroid use, agriculture, houses, clothing, condoms, medicine, school and etc are all unnatural. WE SHOULD ALL GO BOYCOTT MODERN LIFE!!!!!!!!

Ultimately, for me, homophobia is only wrong if you try to impose because you aren't actually scared of gay people. You are scared of not being able to control society and run it the way you like (I use "you" generally throughout, not specifically attacking anyone). Therefore, if you hate gay people but keep don't shove it down anyone's throat then I don't see anything wrong with it.
    I like you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Notnek)
    No that's not what homophobia means. Definitions of words change and you can't always just look at the roots to find the meaning.
    The mission to create the term "homophobia/homophobic" is an intentional plan to associate a pejorative label with those who do not support homosexuality.

I know what a phobia means. You can't change it because it is a medical term.

Someone disagreeing with homosexual activities and/or not in support of incorporation of pro-homosexuality into their society does not have a phobia. They have an objection.

People need to win arguments with explanation of their logical reasoning, not insidious labelling.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    The mission to create the term "homophobia/homophobic" is an intentional plan to associate a pejorative label with those who do not support homosexuality.

I know what a phobia means. You can't change it because it is a medical term.

Someone disagreeing with homosexual activities and/or not in support of incorporation of pro-homosexuality into their society does not have a phobia. They have an objection.

People need to win arguments with explanation of their logical reasoning, not insidious labelling.
    It may not be a great word but there's no conspiracy here. The word was originally coined to mean the fear that others thought you were gay (when you weren't). The meaning expanded over the years to refer to any anti-gay prejudices.

Words can change in meaning over time and end up losing their original meaning. Another example: antisemitism means prejudice against Jews, even though the Semitic people originally didn't just include Jews.

ReputationRep:
    It may not be a great word but there's no conspiracy here. The word was originally coined to mean the fear that others thought you were gay (when you weren't). The meaning expanded over the years to refer to any anti-gay prejudices.

Words can change in meaning over time and end up losing their original meaning. Another example: antisemitism means prejudice against Jews, even though the Semitic people originally didn't just include Jews.
    I think what people get confused with for these terms is in regards to homophobia and a phobia.
    I would say homophobia, as mentioned above, has developed differently and is now no longer a phobia but retains the suffix due to it's long term usage and general understanding, though different for different people.

ReputationRep:

Of all the labelling of people as some -ist or -phobic for giving their opinion there is a conspiracy behind if, often heavily fuelled and supported by the liberal press.

A phobia is a medical term, the liberal Western press are intentionally using it to try to push an agenda. They know it is a wrong way of using the term but they utilise it anyway just to drive their agenda. They are not stupid people, they are just part of the conspiracy.

The most recent one we are seeing just this week is "touching a knee" amounts to "sexual harassment". They know they are mis-labelling, but they don't care. It fits the conspiracy and agenda they want to push to the audience.

Most people are so stupid, when they start hearing it so much, they start believing and accepting it is and reusing the labelling. Soon attempting to dance with a girl you don't know in a club would be called sexual harrassment by some people.

ReputationRep:
    Because I am a. an LGBT person and b. a decent human being.

How on Earth does my sexuality (or that of any other LGBT person) affect you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by klw18)
    Because I am a. an LGBT person and b. a decent human being.

How on Earth does my sexuality (or that of any other LGBT person) affect you?
    I'm not even sure if you two are speaking the same language. Is he talking about the act of homosexuality or the culture that surrounds the lgbt community in the western world?

Because those are two very different things. The only reason to care if someone is physically gay or not is if you fancy a shot at them. And if that's the case, then I'm not gonna disrespect the huge sense of self-esteem he must have, thinking he has a shot at me.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Of all the labelling of people as some -ist or -phobic for giving their opinion there is a conspiracy behind if, often heavily fuelled and supported by the liberal press.

A phobia is a medical term, the liberal Western press are intentionally using it to try to push an agenda. They know it is a wrong way of using the term but they utilise it anyway just to drive their agenda. They are not stupid people, they are just part of the conspiracy.
    This makes absolutely no sense and I have no idea how you've managed to link a word that everyone uses to a conspiracy involving the liberal media.

If you haven't already, I recommend reading about the origin of the word here.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.