Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How do you deal with perfectionist parents? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello! I got parents that are telling me that I must get really high grades. I think that would be classed as perfectionism and it kinda sucks. They are usually serious when it comes to education. How would you counter this?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Are they strict in other areas of your life?

ReputationRep:
    lol this is literally me haha. even though i do get high grades, my dad still goes on about how i should be doing way more. i always try and like show exactly how hard a levels are and tell him about like grades people get at the beginning of a levels so i don't get told off when i get a b or something. hope this helps and good luck haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ashdabear)
    Hello! I got parents that are telling me that I must get really high grades. I think that would be classed as perfectionism and it kinda sucks. They are usually serious when it comes to education. How would you counter this?
    By studying hard and getting good grades? No point in countering it. Your parents aren't trying to make you aim high to your detriment.

This part's going to be cringe-worthy, but your parents are still going to love you on the inside even if you come home with poor grades.

ReputationRep:
    I see what you mean. Thank you for the suggestion!!!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thenbhd)
    lol this is literally me haha. even though i do get high grades, my dad still goes on about how i should be doing way more. i always try and like show exactly how hard a levels are and tell him about like grades people get at the beginning of a levels so i don't get told off when i get a b or something. hope this helps and good luck haha
    Great! Im not the only one

Look at it this way, it's not any better being raised with no encouragement either, I always HATED it, I felt like my parents didn't care about how I did or that they didn't care because they didn't see the point in caring about my education which really hurt, it really upset me and I've met many people who felt the exact same way. I did OK in school but I really wish they had encouraged me.
    I'm just trying to say, people raised the other way didn't like it either so don't envy them. Having encouraging parents does sound annoying and maybe even anxiety enduring at times, but having people pushing you to do your best is always a good thing and will hopefully end in success 😊😊

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 12, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.