The Student Room Group

Question about dropping a Subject at the End of the Year (AS-Level)

Hi, I'm Jay and I am a Year 12 student currently studying 3 subjects, Media Studies, Film Studies and ICT.

I know am not doing very well in ICT and I have accepted the fact that I may not pass the subject at the end of AS-Level and may get a U (but I am not a very confident person but it just honesty in my opinion...). I do not want to change subjects now as I feel like it is too late and I will struggle to catch up on something new (My Sixth Form would probably not let me get away with studying 2 subjects and doing one extra next year) and I do enjoy ICT to a certain extent.

If I fail ICT, does that mean I will have to drop it and choose another subject (Which would be Sociology and stay an extra year, I know some people doing that and I don't mind doing it either to also do my EPQ in 'Year 14'), although, if I feel as if I am not doing that well and somehow pass at the end of the year, could I still drop the subject at the end of the year and choose to do Sociology in Year 13.

I still don't get how Sixth Form and A-Levels work so this is why I am asking this question but I am already stressing about next year and I shouldn't be haha I only just started and the year is flying!

Sorry if this doesn't make too much sense but I just hope that I get some answers because I can't find one on the internet but thank you for reading and taking some time out of your night to respond :smile: I really should be doing some revision!
Original post by jay28jay2
Hi, I'm Jay and I am a Year 12 student currently studying 3 subjects, Media Studies, Film Studies and ICT.

I know am not doing very well in ICT and I have accepted the fact that I may not pass the subject at the end of AS-Level and may get a U (but I am not a very confident person but it just honesty in my opinion...). I do not want to change subjects now as I feel like it is too late and I will struggle to catch up on something new (My Sixth Form would probably not let me get away with studying 2 subjects and doing one extra next year) and I do enjoy ICT to a certain extent.

If I fail ICT, does that mean I will have to drop it and choose another subject (Which would be Sociology and stay an extra year, I know some people doing that and I don't mind doing it either to also do my EPQ in 'Year 14':wink:, although, if I feel as if I am not doing that well and somehow pass at the end of the year, could I still drop the subject at the end of the year and choose to do Sociology in Year 13.

I still don't get how Sixth Form and A-Levels work so this is why I am asking this question but I am already stressing about next year and I shouldn't be haha I only just started and the year is flying!

Sorry if this doesn't make too much sense but I just hope that I get some answers because I can't find one on the internet but thank you for reading and taking some time out of your night to respond :smile: I really should be doing some revision!

1. Ask your school what happens if you fail it. Normally they stop you proceeding. You can also start working harder to get to grips with the subject. revision books and talking to your teacher should help. There is no point continuing to A2/ final year in a subject you prove very weak at.

2. Year 14s are not common, but if it happens at your school then you have that option. I still think there would be time to change but you would have to work very hard and fast to catch up. Normally what happens is they give you a 1 year option like a btec which takes a year.

3. Try and get an idea on if you want to go to uni and to study what. Your A levels are going to be quite restrictive.

4. Try and start thinking you will try your best and fight for getting the best grades you can rather than doubting yourself.

Quick Reply

Latest