Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

more than smart black box insurance users HELP ? Watch

ReputationRep:
    hey people just wanted to know what the insurance with more than is like with you guys personally. hope to be insured by next week. only thing is ive seen so many bad reviews online but I know one guy who said hes had no problems. what is the leniancy like with them or on the other hand how strict are they. thanks for input in advance.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jimbojohn)
    hey people just wanted to know what the insurance with more than is like with you guys personally. hope to be insured by next week. only thing is ive seen so many bad reviews online but I know one guy who said hes had no problems. what is the leniancy like with them or on the other hand how strict are they. thanks for input in advance.
    This thread should be in Cars and Motoring - tagging AngryJellyfish to move it.

They're one of the worst companies for telematics insurance, as if it wasn't bad enough...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IWMTom)
    This thread should be in Cars and Motoring - tagging AngryJellyfish to move it.

They're one of the worst companies for telematics insurance, as if it wasn't bad enough...
    are you speaking from experience. all these reviews sound like they've sped to much and not trying to take the pain or gone above their milleage etc. if you dont do that then i dont see the argument. not too sure
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    are you speaking from experience. all these reviews sound like they've sped to much and not trying to take the pain or gone above their milleage etc. if you dont do that then i dont see the argument. not too sure
    I haven't been insured with them, if that's what you're asking - I don't believe in telematics insurance; it's one giant con.

I speak on behalf of friends and other TSR users who have fallen foul of the box. From what I've heard, the boxes are horribly inaccurate, and the customer service is astoundingly bad.

ReputationRep:
    My son is with them and there are a lot of restrictions. You are marked down for journeys between 11pm and 6am. You are marked down for journeys of less than a mile or less than 5 minutes or more than one hour. There is also a limit on how many journeys you are allowed each day before being marked down, around 5/6 journeys. A journey ends when the engine turns off.

They are also very strict on smoothness so any acceleration or sharp braking is marked down.

ReputationRep:
    faulty box is one thing but some have been alright like my friend who's box is fairly accurate he doesnt speed or anything. to me it sound like people been up to no good and trying to stick the blame on a faulty box. let's get a few more opinions in with first hand experience.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nutz99)
    My son is with them and there are a lot of restrictions. You are marked down for journeys between 11pm and 6am. You are marked down for journeys of less than a mile or less than 5 minutes or more than one hour. There is also a limit on how many journeys you are allowed each day before being marked down, around 5/6 journeys. A journey ends when the engine turns off.

They are also very strict on smoothness so any acceleration or sharp braking is marked down.
    my journey would be between sort of 7am and latest of 9.3. journey should average 10miles each. should take 30 mins to 45. and no more than 4 journeys in one day. if i leave the engine running does that count as a journey. I tend to sit in the car whilst it is running for like aircon/heater or what not. how is he personally finding it and how long has he had it. thanks btw.

ReputationRep:
    my journey would be between sort of 7am and latest of 9.3. journey should average 10miles each. should take 30 mins to 45. and no more than 4 journeys in one day. if i leave the engine running does that count as a journey. I tend to sit in the car whilst it is running for like aircon/heater or what not. how is he personally finding it and how long has he had it. thanks btw.
    He passed his test in Feb this year so since then really. If you keep the engine running then the journey hasn't ended. He was marked down tonight as he put his foot down to get through lights (not speeding) and parked up quite sharpish. The marks you get are between -10 and 10. Tonight he got -8 because he was late and rushing. Sometimes he gets marked down and he just doesn't know why. Overall he is averaging 5 which I suppose isn't bad but you get no benefit until the following years quote. Some of the black box insurers review you on a quarterly basis and put your insurance payments up or down depending on the black box stats. He wishes now he'd have gone with one of them.

ReputationRep:
    I have More than smart wheels (had it about 8 Months) and have had no problems at all. I rarely get marked down for bad driving. I Drove 130 miles yesterday and got nothing but +10 (The best you can get) I have had £30 rewards to far and on course for another £16. Overall pretty good i think

These people saying that they get marked down cuz of this and that are just bad drivers tbh. I agree the time restrictions is silly but who drives between 11pm and 6am anyway?

Hope this helps, If you want info on them lemme know

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FireSt0rm)
    I have More than smart wheels (had it about 8 Months) and have had no problems at all. I rarely get marked down for bad driving. I Drove 130 miles yesterday and got nothing but +10 (The best you can get) I have had £30 rewards to far and on course for another £16. Overall pretty good i think

These people saying that they get marked down cuz of this and that are just bad drivers tbh. I agree the time restrictions is silly but who drives between 11pm and 6am anyway?

Actually I've been in the car when my son has been marked down and there has been no reason for it. He is one of the safest drivers I've come across. I'd much rather travel with him than my wife who's been driving for many years. Almost all his driving is around town though, very little on dual carriageway or motorway, which may make a difference. I've also been told by a mechanic friend that some of these black boxes can be very temperamental.

ReputationRep:

what's your driving style like? do you think it makes u drive like a canny or normal?

ReputationRep:
    what's your driving style like? do you think it makes u drive like a canny or normal?
    Normal i guess? Stick to speed limits and no harsh acceleration or breaking.

ReputationRep:
    I meant granny driving lool, so what happens if you go over the speed limit nothing major so like 35 in a 30 or 45 in a 40 how harsh so they pick up on stuff like that cheers again pal. how does the box respond to like one offs.

ReputationRep:
    One off it seems fine. I do sometimes go over the limit but not for a long period. Rarely get marked down for speed

ReputationRep:
    so would u say they would be more than ok(pun not intended) for the first year of insurance for 18 year olds. not more you can really add is there. its just that it's all these trust pilot reviews so off putting but I'm so desperate. would u reconvened to a friend?

ReputationRep:
    I agree all the reviews are bad but i just went with it cuz it was £900 for me. If its a big price difference then i guess you dont have a choice

GL!

ReputationRep:
    I had this insurance policy and I hated it. I couldn’t switch faster. They are cheap, which is amazing, but it really is for a reason in my opinion. If you have an issue with them it takes AGES to fix. It got so bad that my dad had to call them up and threaten the manger with complaints to their main office for them to start actually sorting issues out I had been trying to get sorted for about 3 months. There are a lot of restrictions, especially on certain roads too. I guess it’s just a bad experience but I know people who have had similar experiences with them to me and others who have had no issues, guess you got to be lucky

Me, half my journeys occur at these times. You are marked down because there is less traffic at night, which makes it more likely you will bleed to death before someone finds you.

ReputationRep:
      how would I install the black box would I have to go to a local garage to do it

ReputationRep:
      how would I install the black box would I have to go to a local garage to do it
      You book an appointment with them and they come to your home to put it in, takes like 30mins

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.