Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Right, so I’m in year 11 and am really struggling to focus when doing revision. So does anyone have any tips on how to revise? I’ve always just made flash cards or made notes and revised from the page but nothing seems to be helping, and I really want to do well this year
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Try other methods of revision like mind maps or revision videos. Definitely use multiple methods instead of just one, it is more likely to go in.

ReputationRep:
    Telling people information I’ve learnt often helps and answering questions in class or questions your friends. Exam style questions help too. I don’t enjoy notes or flash cards at all.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe try things like mindmaps or watching youtube videos about your subjects? I don't do these myself (normally I use flashcards) so I can't vouch for them but they're the first things that came to mind which you haven't said you struggle with. Also practice papers are great to hone your exam technique while seeing what you still need to revise and what you already know!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abby Ward)
    Right, so I’m in year 11 and am really struggling to focus when doing revision. So does anyone have any tips on how to revise? I’ve always just made flash cards or made notes and revised from the page but nothing seems to be helping, and I really want to do well this year
    It depends on the subject as for GCSE Maths I got my A* by doing a lot of practice papers and exercises. For Sciences put your 100% in the coursework as that would elevate your grades along with using diagrams and mind maps for revision. I find that using the examiners report is very useful with revision as it tells you what the examiners want.

ReputationRep:
    Try to memorise your notes instead of just making lots of them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abby Ward)
    Hi!! I'm in year 11 too and have had the same problem, I seem to be able to concentrate on doing anything BUT revision - I'll always reach for my phone or end up trying to see how many pieces of paper I get scrunch up or I'll just be staring into thin air. What I have found useful is too put my phone/tablet/computer nowhere near me so I don't concentrate on that instead

ReputationRep:
    Thankyou so much that was really helpful, I’ll defiantly be sure to try them, I can just never seem to concentrate and nothing ever seems to go in unless I actually enjoy the lesson😒. I take hospitality, german, child development, philosophy and ethics and geography (which is one of my least favourites). Good luck to you too!! I’m sure you’ll be amazing!

ReputationRep:
    For some reason it's showing only half my comment is on here so hopefully you can see if all 😂 But I'm glad it was, yeah I feel your pain - I feel that way too, I just try and concentrate as much as possible the after the lessons try and go over as much as I can!! Ooh we take some of the same I took Child Development (I swear coursework is taking so long & I'm so behind on it!), Geography (which is actually my favourite 😂), Triple Science & Spanish & I've already done my Religious studies as our school decided to do it a year early. Thank you so much!!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful revision links

Articles

Writing revision notes

Our top revision articles

Tips and advice on making the most of your study time.

Boomarked book

Superpowered study

Take the hard work out of revising with our masterplan.

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Can you help? Study Help unanswered threadsStudy Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.