Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

GYG - aspirations & trepidation Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi, and welcome to my blog for Grow Your Grades 2017-18!

My name is Dite (a Danish name from a relatively obscure film within which nothing positive happens to Dite) and I’m in Year 11. I’m taking; English Literature, English Language, Maths, Further Maths, 3 Separate Sciences, French, History and Latin! At the end of Year 10, my “Working At” grades were all 8s and 9s despite my YELLIS predicting a few 7s. Despite this, I still feel insecure about whether I’ll actually get these grades next summer as the dreaded exams loom closer...

A little bit more about me - I love reading, cats, listening to music and painting. My favourite film ever would likely be ‘The Breakfast Club’, I think it’s a classic. In the not too distant future I would like to be studying law at Cambridge, so this blog will be a miscellany of academia, silver DofE, hobbies and preparation. In the summer I’m hoping to attend ACLC, which has a reputation for being very demanding, so I’ll be starting training soon!

if anyone reads this, thank you, and I hope you stick around!

ReputationRep:
    I'll be watching this thread! We're doing almost the same subjects (except I'm doing art instead of fm, although I would do fm if it was offered as a gcse at my school!)

Good luck with getting good grades this summer! I'm sure you'll do well

Do you have any ideas what A-levels you want to do?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katiech)
    Do you have any ideas what A-levels you want to do?
    Hey, thanks for reading my weird late-night ramble and that’s really cool, some of my friends do art and they love it! People have been teasing me about my indecisiveness regarding A-levels and I think I’ve FINALLY decided; english lit, history and government & politics. I might take a fourth depending on the options how about you? what do you want to do in university?

ReputationRep:
    They sound like good subjects for law!

I'm not 100% certain (still in year 10 though so I have a while) but at the moment I'm thinking maths, further maths, french and either chemistry or physics, then maths at uni!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katiech)
    They sound like good subjects for law!

I'm not 100% certain (still in year 10 though so I have a while) but at the moment I'm thinking maths, further maths, french and either chemistry or physics, then maths at uni!
    I hope so I think there would be a collective groan from all of my teachers if I changed my A-level choices for the 4th time! That’s really cool! What do you want to be when you’re older?

ReputationRep:
    Not really sure Probably something maths related but who knows? But I think a maths degree is a pretty good way to go because I like maths, it's my best subject and it's well respected with lots of potential career paths. But I could end up somewhere completely unexpected as I don't have much of a plan past uni.

ReputationRep:
    To keep myself accountable, I’ve decided to compile a list of my goals for the 2017/18 academic year now.

academic goals
    Spoiler:
    Show

•start revising from the 6th of November
    •revise consistently
    •on results day, get all 8s and 9s
    •make a-level choices that I am happy with
    •get gold at my (probably) final UKMT Maths Challenge

extra-curricular goals
    Spoiler:
    Show

•finish my silver DofE
    •apply to ACLC for next summer
    •get a place at ACLC for next summer
    •start volunteering
    •start fencing
    •actually see my charity projects for school come to fruition
    •get promoted to a corporal
    •maybe start learning a new instrument
    •do NCS
    •go to the national shooting comp next year
    •represent my section at AST regionals
    •represent my section at AST nationals
    •represent school at regional general knowledge quiz again

big scary “for the future” goals
    Spoiler:
    Show

•attend lectures in the city’s universities
    •visit the city’s courts
    •attend a law summer school
    •read as many law-related books as possible by next September
    •read 70 books by next September
    •improve my vocabulary
    •do work experience
    •join a debate society/speaker’s club
    •enter an academic competition
    •visit Cambridge
    •visit Oxford
    •start my own “law library” and donate unwanted books to charity
    •become a member of youth parliament
    •join my local youth council
    •deliver a talk to school’s symposium society
    •start a law blog
    •attend a TED conference

ReputationRep:
    Day 1 - 06/11/17
    Today I had biology, maths, latin and english! I had a practice question on thoughts and feelings on an extract in English language, but I don’t think it went very well. I’m far better at English literature.

I handed in my A-level options today, went with the three I’ve mentioned - english lit, history and politics. I might pick a fourth but if my option is something like religious studies which I’m not interested in, i won’t take four for the sake of taking four.

starting some light revision today - 45 minutes of the following;
    - latin grammar
    - physics (practice questions)
    - french (writing/speaking)
    - history
    - chemistry
    I’m pretty excited to start latin verse! we’ve covered all the grammar/prose/vocabulary so only verse to go. Every other time I’ve tried to start revising for GCSEs I’ve not managed to sustain it but if it only takes two weeks to form a habit..

Submit reply
Updated: November 6, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.