Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

For film post graduation, University of Glasgow, Exeter or Birmingham? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,
    I’d like a help. I’m applying for Chevening scholarship and I need to choose 3 options of universities of my interest. The courses I liked are the MA in filmmaking from those universities but... are they good? They have good reputation? The students that graduate their are good professionals later? If somebody could help me with those answers, I’d appreciate. Thanks guys.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deysinha)
    Hi guys,
    I’d like a help. I’m applying for Chevening scholarship and I need to choose 3 options of universities of my interest. The courses I liked are the MA in filmmaking from those universities but... are they good? They have good reputation? The students that graduate their are good professionals later? If somebody could help me with those answers, I’d appreciate. Thanks guys.
    Only Edinburgh is accredited

http://creativeskillset.org/search/3...D=Postgraduate

So you would need to ask more about the other two to find out how practical they are and how much they involve industry in the design and teaching of their courses.

ReputationRep:
    All the three of them have post graduation in film studies. Exeter is more technical and the other two more practical. As I’m not from UK, I don’t know if I made good choices cause I was checking the universities league ranking and there are many. In each one the universities are in different position. So... I’d like to know if they have good reputation, you know? 🙂
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deysinha)
    All the three of them have post graduation in film studies. Exeter is more technical and the other two more practical. As I’m not from UK, I don’t know if I made good choices cause I was checking the universities league ranking and there are many. In each one the universities are in different position. So... I’d like to know if they have good reputation, you know? 🙂
    For a film MA that would be respected in the film industry you should aim for accredited courses. A theoretical course from a non accredited university is not going to help you get a job in film.

The most respected film schools in the uk are cilect members: http://www.cilect.org/profiles/membe...4#.Wf_F5ranzYV

(the Edinburgh MA/MFA is part of the Scottish screen academy so part of an accredited film school - your other choices are not known for film at all)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    For a film MA that would be respected in the film industry you should aim for accredited courses. A theoretical course from a non accredited university is not going to help you get a job in film.

The most respected film schools in the uk are cilect members: http://www.cilect.org/profiles/membe...4#.Wf_F5ranzYV

(the Edinburgh MA/MFA is part of the Scottish screen academy so part of an accredited film school - your other choices are not known for film at all)
    Hum.... got it. Thanks

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.