Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Jums' A*A*A journey (and maybe even Cambridge or the Ivy Legue) watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AryanGh)
    For Single: Fairly easy ish, our school does the Maths FM system by Doing an accelerated AS Maths, i.e we cover the entire AS between September-November, then AS FM for the rest. I've almost done AS Maths and tbh the difficulty increase from GCSE isn't really as high as I thought, I find it quite straight forward, however I anticipate FM to be very challenging!
    I find that it's the challenge of FM that makes it fun. Especially once you do a topic like proof by induction (my favourite FM topic from last year) I don't even know if it's still on the spec but I love it. Even on the old spec I didn't really encounter much of a difficulty increase that i'd been bombarded about. I mean they specifically designed C1 so that your basically recapping GCSE for the first few topics!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jooms)
    Good luck either way!
    Thank you! You too

ReputationRep:

Week 1 Recap

Here's the recap of the week:

• Revise AS Physics content as prep for class assessment
    • Revise C3 trig chapters as prep for class assessment
    • Go over FP2 complex numbers, focusing on transformations

Today has been an okay week in terms of productivity I was certainly able to revise C3 and the exam went very very well, hopefully i'll get the results early this week. Whilst I did revise most of the AS physics spec I didn't really do it in any particular depth and therefor wasn't much use for the exam, which means that i'll probably have to set a longer term goal to properly go over topics and in detail and specifically practise my exam technique straight after. However I didn't even start my FP2 practise which is a setback (and means i'll roll it over to next weeks list) out of sheer laziness. I've also started to craft some answers to my MIT essays which is much less painful than I expected it to be.

Week 2

In maths we've started differentiation and I know that it's pretty much (except implicit) stuff that I already know from FM. This means that I'm pretty confident in starting Solomon papers now, I'm probably going to leave the actual exam papers until just before Easter so that I don't run out before then! I've decided to revise both my most loved and most topics in Physics so that it isn't too painful.

A Level Goals:
    • Revise FP2 complex numbers
    • Do 1 or 2 full C3 Solomon Paper
    • Fully revise and do questions on Electricity and Particle Physics

I've also decided that I need to document my prep for the SAT and the US application process in general so I can procrastinate less on that too! :

• Complete 2 practice SAT Essays on Khan Academy
    • Learn most of the grammar rules I need for the Reading section (also on Khan Academy)
    • Complete my CSS (Financial Aid) Profile
    • Complete at least a first draft of my MIT essays and my main Common Application essay

ReputationRep:

Week 2 Update

This week has been a pretty amazing one in terms of exams. I did a C3 Solomon and got 72/75, full marks on the class trig exam and a 780 on the SAT Physics along with a 770 on the SAT Math 2! The SAT scores were a bit of a surprise for me, considering I thought that I'd done better on the Maths than Physics. Though in the end I suppose that I can't really complain

The book 'The elements of style' has been surprisingly useful in terms of all of those pesky grammar rules, allowing me to say that I'm mostly done with that goal. The CSS profile has been a bit of a mare, it was easy enough to fill out for one parent (even if it took almost an hour) yet when needing to fill it out for my other parent it seems to get a little more complicated. I'm probably going to leave my other parent's profile until after I apply. I've been trying to define my technique for the SAT Essay, as before I'd sit down and try to write one and just get lost and kind of overwhelmed by it all (I haven't written a proper essay in well over a year now, except for my first SAT) but having a proper method let's me work through things much more logically. I'm going to do the Common App Essay and the MIT Essays on Sunday.

In terms of A-level work I've (finally) started my Complex Numbers revision! I'm about half way through the chapter at the moment but will probably finish it some time tomorrow. I've also revised my beloved Particle Physics, which means that I'm finally quite confident in it again. I'll leave the Electricity to do on Sunday.

A Level Goals:
    • Fully revise and do questions on Electricity and Particle Physics

US Application:

• Learn most of the grammar rules I need for the Reading section
    • Complete at least a first draft of my MIT essays and my main Common Application essay

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jooms)

US Application:

All the US application work you have to do is crazy! I wish you all the best of luck, I couldn't do it at all! :eek3:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EmilySarah00)
    All the US application work you have to do is crazy! I wish you all the best of luck, I couldn't do it at all! :eek3:
    Thank you! Once you wrap your head around it and find out everything you have to do it isn't really that bad. Mine only seems that way because of how little time I've had prepare my application. Usually people have at least a year (many have much more than a year too) whereas I've had less than half a year!

ReputationRep:

Week 2 Recap
    Sorry I couldn't update it on Sunday, I had a particularly lazy weekend so I didn't really make much progress on anything.

A Level Goals:
    • Fully revise and do questions on Electricityand Particle Physics

US Application:

Week 3
    A Level:
    • Revise Quantum and Waves
    • Revise FP2 Inequalities and Series
    • Check my knowledge of FP1 using exam paper

US Application:
    • Complete practice SAT Essays on Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday
    • Get my Common Application Essay done
    • Practice SAT Reading and complete a practice Exam

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jooms)

Jums' Study Blog

Hi everybody! As much as I am very late to GYG the first couple months of A2 have shown me how much I need the positive pressure to revise. I'm currently studying Maths, Further Maths and Physics. I'm a serial procrastinator who (thankfully) is beginning to learn from his mistakes. I'll most likely be updating this with one big Sunday post detailing with my goals for the week with a couple smaller posts throughout the week once I achieve particular goals. I'll also become more active as the year wears on and I start to ramp up my revision . I'll also add things such as my revision timetable (once I've actually created one). For a bit more background:

GCSE's
    Spoiler:
    Show

Maths A*
    Further Maths A
    Physics A
    English A
    History A
    Chemistry B
    Biology B
    RE B
    Computer Science B (a miracle considering the joke of a teacher that we had)
    French C
    English Lit D (was taken in year 10 and not given the chance to resit, not that I would have if given the chance)

As you can tell these are a pretty mediocre set of results (at least on TSR anyway) and I know that I could have gotten 5-6 A* grades had I properly tried. All the grades I got were ones that I didn't do any prep for as I was too lazy and filled with hubris to revise.

AS
    Spoiler:
    Show

At AS things went a lot better than at GCSE. I originally took Maths, FM, Physics and Psychology. I took psychology because I'd always had a passing interest and my College doesn't do Economics. I enjoyed the content of Psychology but just couldn't stand the constant evaluations of Studies. I then dropped it after a half term for Chemistry instead.

My AS grades are as follows:

Maths: A C1 97, C2 98, S1 80 (Edexcel)

Overall I was very happy with my maths score which even turned out to be the best in the year!

Further Maths: B M1 87, M2 65, FP1 67 (Edexcel)

I was okay with this result, it certainly wasn't what I wanted but I still did the best in my year for FM (even if it was out of 3 )

Physics A (AQA)

Chemistry B (AQA)

Overall I thought last year went rather well, with my biggest issue being starting my revision just after Easter. A mistake which I'm not planning on making this year.

A2
    Spoiler:
    Show

So far this year has been going quite well. I'm not finding C3 and FP2 that much of a step up and Physics so far has been really quite nice.

My predictions are

Maths: A*
    Physics: A*
    Further Maths: A

For Maths and further maths I'll be sitting C3, C4, D1, FP2, FP3, M3 and resit's in FP1 and possibly even M2.

Applying to the US
    Spoiler:
    Show

The biggest change that has happened this year is the range of universities that I'm considering. Before the summer whenever I'd think about studying in America I would instantly dismiss the idea as being far too expensive (which for the most part is true). What I hadn't realised is that for the very best US Universities those insane $40,000 per year tuition fees almost always come with very generous financial aid (meaning very few students actually pay the sticker price). This arrangement works out even better for UK applicant's (provided that the school is one of the 5 that have need blind admissions for international applicants) as the average American family is quite a bit more wealthy than the average British family the expected family contribution skews heavily in my favour. This has only been exacerbated by the fall in the pound and the BOE's willingness to tolerate the above average inflation that it has brought. This becomes so generous that I would likely end up in less debt studying in the US than the UK!

I'll very likely apply to these Universities and may add to this list in the future:

MIT (Which I know isn't strictly 'Ivy Legue' but has better levels of Financial aid than many Ivy Legues and just has just as good a reputation for the sciences)
    Harvard
    Stanford
    Princeton

I've also been sitting obtaining all of the necessary qualifications like the SAT and SAT subject exams. My first SAT went okay, I expected to at least get a 1500 but was ill on test day. This meant that I instead got 1450. Which whilst being a very respectable score that put me into the 98th percentile for that exam simply isn't where it needs to be for the calibre of institution that I'm applying to. Which means that I'm going to resit it this December. Wish me luck .

I also sat the SAT Physics and Maths 2 which I thought both went very well. I'll post my results once I get them!

Maths 2:
    Physics:

I've also started the Common Application and the MIT application which I'm going to have to start really focusing on really quite soon.

UCAS
    Spoiler:
    Show

Cambridge (St Johns) Nat Sci:
    Acknowledgement (Looking unlikely due to my probable piss poor NSAA score)

Durham (University College) Physics with Astrophysics:
    Offer of A*AA

St Andrews Astrophysics:
    Acknowledgement

Manchester Physics with Astrophysics:
    Offer of A*A*A

Newcastle Physics:
    Offer of AAB

About me! :cute:
    Spoiler:
    Show

I love most things to do with computers and like to build them myself. I love to read and consume copious amounts of TV on Netflix. I've also been on/off trying to relearn Python for the past year ( to little success might I add) as well as toying with the idea of learning an actual spoken language (I always seem to gravitate towards Italian). Thankfully I don't have a job which would distract me form these things and of course my studies.

Week 1

On top of keeping on top of my Homework this week my goals are:
    • Revise AS Physics content as prep for class assessment
    • Revise C3 trig chapters as prep for class assessment
    • Go over FP2 complex numbers, focusing on transformations
    I've been working and studying at a regionally fairly reputable public university in the US for the last three years, and I think an important consideration you need to give serious thought to is whether you would want to live and work over there or in the UK after graduation. In the US the university you graduated from is of very little significance in all but a few fields. The university I work at is mostly unknown outside of the region (even outside the state to some extent), yet I know of no graduates in anything other than a graduate job. You're talking about applying to some of the most competitive universities IN THE WORLD. Given that you have to wait for the next SAT cycle to apply I would do some serious shopping around among US universities. If you want to come back to the UK then attending a college with some name recognition is important. In the US, not so much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Retrodiction)
    I've been working and studying at a regionally fairly reputable public university in the US for the last three years, and I think an important consideration you need to give serious thought to is whether you would want to live and work over there or in the UK after graduation. In the US the university you graduated from is of very little significance in all but a few fields. The university I work at is mostly unknown outside of the region (even outside the state to some extent), yet I know of no graduates in anything other than a graduate job. You're talking about applying to some of the most competitive universities IN THE WORLD. Given that you have to wait for the next SAT cycle to apply I would do some serious shopping around among US universities. If you want to come back to the UK then attending a college with some name recognition is important. In the US, not so much.
    For me it's less out of needing/wanting name recognition and more out of economic necessity. As much as I wish I could I just cannot afford to go to a US university that doesn't give very generous financial aid to international students. I'm sure that there are more than the ones that I currently have listed and would be happy for suggestions.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but I thought the last acceptable testing date is this December? This seems to be backed up by university websites too.

ReputationRep:

Week 3 Recap
    A Level:
    • Revise FP2 Inequalities and Series
    • Check my knowledge of FP1 using exam paper

US Application:
    • Complete practice SAT Essays on Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday
    • Get my Common Application Essay done
    • Practice SAT Reading and complete a practice Exam

Last week was okay in terms of productivity even with my main task (essays) being a failure. It turns out that I can still remember most of FP1 and got 65 on a past paper, which is nice to see. FP2 revision was quite nice as the topics are relatively easy.

My SAT grammar skills are pretty on point now that I actually bothered to learn the rules for punctuation, which means I'm much more confident in my ability to get a 1500+ score in December, especially considering that I tend to do better in the actual exam (except when I'm ill of course). I've started my common app essay which is proving to be less painful than I thought it was going to be and should be finished by the end of the week. I've also made contact with my MIT interviewer (even if totally forgot to use a subject line in my first email :facepalm:) which should be sorted soon.

However, the week wasn't all great. I got my rejection from Cambridge, which whilst expected, was still really disappointing. On the bright side, it is a good motivator for my US work and I got over it a day later so I'm not exactly mortified. I also didn't get any SAT essays completed, I did mostly nail down my technique but then didn't actually practise it...

Week 4

A Level:
    • Practice integration by parts as prep for C4 and Further Maths
    • Check my knowledge of M2 using exam paper

US Application:
    • Complete a practice SAT Essay every day
    • Continually practice my reading and do practice exams throughout week
    • Fully complete my common app essay and do the first three small MIT prompts

ReputationRep:

Week 4 Recap

A Level:
    • Practice integration by parts as prep for C4 and Further Maths

US Application:
    • Complete a practice SAT Essay every day
    • Continually practice my reading and do practice exams throughout week
    • Fully complete my common app essay and do the first three small MIT prompts

I kind of had an all America week, getting loads done for the US process but very little for my A-Levels. My retake of the SAT went better, not hugely better but I think enough to just get me over 1500. The essay, however, went far better than last time (I shouldn't get a 2 in my analysis!) which I'm quite happy with. I've made more progress with my US essays but still have a ways to go.

On the flip side, my MIT EC couldn't make the interview and is hopefully in the process of reassigning me so I can re-organise it soon.

A Level:
    • Go over differential equations

US Application:
    • Fully complete my common app essay and all MIT prompts

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.