Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Jums' A*A*A journey (and maybe even Cambridge or the Ivy Legue) Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AryanGh)
    For Single: Fairly easy ish, our school does the Maths FM system by Doing an accelerated AS Maths, i.e we cover the entire AS between September-November, then AS FM for the rest. I've almost done AS Maths and tbh the difficulty increase from GCSE isn't really as high as I thought, I find it quite straight forward, however I anticipate FM to be very challenging!
    I find that it's the challenge of FM that makes it fun. Especially once you do a topic like proof by induction (my favourite FM topic from last year) I don't even know if it's still on the spec but I love it. Even on the old spec I didn't really encounter much of a difficulty increase that i'd been bombarded about. I mean they specifically designed C1 so that your basically recapping GCSE for the first few topics!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jooms)
    Good luck either way!
    Thank you! You too

ReputationRep:

Week 1 Recap

Here's the recap of the week:

• Revise AS Physics content as prep for class assessment
    • Revise C3 trig chapters as prep for class assessment
    • Go over FP2 complex numbers, focusing on transformations

Today has been an okay week in terms of productivity I was certainly able to revise C3 and the exam went very very well, hopefully i'll get the results early this week. Whilst I did revise most of the AS physics spec I didn't really do it in any particular depth and therefor wasn't much use for the exam, which means that i'll probably have to set a longer term goal to properly go over topics and in detail and specifically practise my exam technique straight after. However I didn't even start my FP2 practise which is a setback (and means i'll roll it over to next weeks list) out of sheer laziness. I've also started to craft some answers to my MIT essays which is much less painful than I expected it to be.

Week 2

In maths we've started differentiation and I know that it's pretty much (except implicit) stuff that I already know from FM. This means that I'm pretty confident in starting Solomon papers now, I'm probably going to leave the actual exam papers until just before Easter so that I don't run out before then! I've decided to revise both my most loved and most topics in Physics so that it isn't too painful.

A Level Goals:
    • Revise FP2 complex numbers
    • Do 1 or 2 full C3 Solomon Paper
    • Fully revise and do questions on Electricity and Particle Physics

I've also decided that I need to document my prep for the SAT and the US application process in general so I can procrastinate less on that too! :

• Complete 2 practice SAT Essays on Khan Academy
    • Learn most of the grammar rules I need for the Reading section (also on Khan Academy)
    • Complete my CSS (Financial Aid) Profile
    • Complete at least a first draft of my MIT essays and my main Common Application essay

ReputationRep:

Week 2 Update

This week has been a pretty amazing one in terms of exams. I did a C3 Solomon and got 72/75, full marks on the class trig exam and a 780 on the SAT Physics along with a 770 on the SAT Math 2! The SAT scores were a bit of a surprise for me, considering I thought that I'd done better on the Maths than Physics. Though in the end I suppose that I can't really complain

The book 'The elements of style' has been surprisingly useful in terms of all of those pesky grammar rules, allowing me to say that I'm mostly done with that goal. The CSS profile has been a bit of a mare, it was easy enough to fill out for one parent (even if it took almost an hour) yet when needing to fill it out for my other parent it seems to get a little more complicated. I'm probably going to leave my other parent's profile until after I apply. I've been trying to define my technique for the SAT Essay, as before I'd sit down and try to write one and just get lost and kind of overwhelmed by it all (I haven't written a proper essay in well over a year now, except for my first SAT) but having a proper method let's me work through things much more logically. I'm going to do the Common App Essay and the MIT Essays on Sunday.

In terms of A-level work I've (finally) started my Complex Numbers revision! I'm about half way through the chapter at the moment but will probably finish it some time tomorrow. I've also revised my beloved Particle Physics, which means that I'm finally quite confident in it again. I'll leave the Electricity to do on Sunday.

A Level Goals:
    • Revise FP2 complex numbers
    • Do 1 or 2 full C3 Solomon Paper
    • Fully revise and do questions on Electricityand Particle Physics

US Application:

• Learn most of the grammar rules I need for the Reading section
    • Complete at least a first draft of my MIT essays and my main Common Application essay

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jooms)

US Application:

• Learn most of the grammar rules I need for the Reading section
    All the US application work you have to do is crazy! I wish you all the best of luck, I couldn't do it at all! :eek3:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EmilySarah00)
    All the US application work you have to do is crazy! I wish you all the best of luck, I couldn't do it at all! :eek3:
    Thank you! Once you wrap your head around it and find out everything you have to do it isn't really that bad. Mine only seems that way because of how little time I've had prepare my application. Usually people have at least a year (many have much more than a year too) whereas I've had less than half a year!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.