Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am currently studying physics A-Level in the hopes of moving on to study Physics at university next year. I recently sent out the following email to a large number of Russel Group universities (i think it explains my situation well which i why i have copied it here):

-

To whom it may concern,

I have spent the last two years studying A-Level Biology, Chemistry and Economics and have received a B in each of the three subjects. My intention since completing the first (AS) year of these subjects was to complete these subjects at A2 (as I have done) and then fast track an A-Level in Physics to complete the full A-Level during the summer 2018 exams and hence gain entry to study Physics at university in 2018. Along with the three A-Levels I also have a B in A-Level mathematics (completed in 2016). This year I intend to improve my A-Level mathematics grade, as I understand a higher level of skill in mathematics needs to be demonstrated in order show I am capable of studying Physics at undergraduate level, as well as to complete the A-Level in physics. I would love to study Physics next year at your university and would appreciate any insight into if you would consider me, and if so what grades would you require from me in order for me to be a competitive applicant.

Thank you and I look forward to your response.

-

Around half came back saying they would probably give me an offer of AA for Maths and Physics this year, and while only a couple said i wouldn't reach the requirements, most gave rather vague answers saying my best chance would be to maximise my marks. My question is it worth applying to some uni's such as Bristol and Warwick that usually ask for A*AA or am i wasting my 5 choices. I think its worth mentioning i was very disappointed with the grades i achieved last year and was not far off an A for any of them but nonetheless they are my grades.

Will they factor in the fact I'm studying from home and completing the A-Level in a year just so i can pursue my aspiration to study physics?

Sorry for the long question.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.