Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am looking for some advice on whether to do a degree in QS or CE.
    I'm struggling to decide whether it would be better for me to study CE at a Russell Group university, maybe Uni Of Leeds, Bham or Manchester, or study QS at a met university such as Leeds Beckett or Sheffield Hallam.

I am wondering which would be better for me in terms of career path and options? Could I become a quantity surveyor with a degree in CE and vice versa?
    I currently study maths, physics and computer science at A level.

Any help would be appreciated

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adxmbaker)
    I am looking for some advice on whether to do a degree in QS or CV.
    I'm struggling to decide whether it would be better for me to study CE at a Russell Group university, maybe Uni Of Leeds, Bham or Manchester, or study QS at a met university such as Leeds Beckett or Sheffield Hallam.

I am wondering which would be better for me in terms of career path and options? Could I become a quantity surveyor with a degree in CE and vice versa?
    I currently study maths, physics and computer science at A level.

Any help would be appreciated
    Within a CV degree you may study some QS but will have to do some additional training (in the form of a postgraduate conversion course) after you complete the degree if you want to pursue this line of work. The same is not true visa verse, many Jobs a civil engineering degree prepares you for cannot be entered with a QS degree. So a civil engineering degree would keep your options open that's what I would do.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    You can become a QS with a CE degree if its accredited by the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors, after a conversation someone said about one of their uni options it looks that only one uni has a CE degree which is also chartered by them. You have to have a degree in civil engineering (or general engineering covering it) to become a civil engineer.

It depends really what you want to do in future.

Here's the prospects site job descriptions:
    https://www.prospects.ac.uk/job-prof...ntity-surveyor
    https://www.prospects.ac.uk/job-prof...civil-engineer
    https://www.prospects.ac.uk/job-prof...civil-engineer

If you have a specific question about civil engineering I can answer that.

adxmbaker

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies guys,

I think I am going to follow advice and apply for a CE degree but also apply for the quantity surveying degree as a backup choice.

Thanks for the help, appreciated.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Well, consider your strengths and interests. If you like physics and maths, then CivE isn't a bad option. If you're not as strong or interested in those areas, but more interested in aspects of business, management and finance, then QS may be a better option.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    you might want to look at nottingham, they provide civil engineering course with Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors accreditation (they proudly claim theyre the only institution to have this accred for their CE course) so you get both what you want and more.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.