Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I'd like to explain my situation a little to give some context. I attended a school in a deprived area and did very well when I was younger without putting in very much effort but I took this to mean that I didn't have to work hard during my GCSEs (stupid, I know). Hence, I didn't put nearly enough effort in and to top this all off, I was ill during the examinations season. This resulted in the following grades:

8 - Mathematics
    8 - English Language
    7 - English Literature
    A - Religious Studies (1 UMS from an A*)
    A - History (2 UMS from an A*)
    A - Biology
    A - Physics
    A - Psychology
    A - French
    B - Chemistry

I also took Geography in Y9 and Statistics in Y10 (resulting in A and B respectively) There have also been some family circumstances since Y8 that have affected my mental health, particularly in Y9 and Y10.

Since getting these results, I've realised how immensely stupid I was and intend to pull out all the stops at A-Level. Would it still be possible to get an offer from Oxford on the PPE course with grades like these? @BrasenoseAdm
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by gmtkaf)
    x
    Okay,

For a start. Those GCSE grades are NOT mediocre. Even for Oxford standards, they've accepted much lower.

Did you receive extenuating circumstances for your Yr 9 and 10 performances?

When you get round to doing UCAS (long way off from now) your referee should include the mental health stuff.:yep: If you have anything official with regards to this which can fall into the disability category, then you can include this in your application and your universities should be able to see that, and might join up the dots with the reference and the grades.

My gut would say that it's worth applying. But it's your decision at the end of the day.

The admissions process is a holistic assessment, so there are lots of things taken into account, nobody is usually disregarded instantly based on slightly below par (for Oxford) GCSEs.:nah:

ReputationRep:
    I didn't apply for extenuating circumstances at the time because I didn't think it mattered at that point due to how little leeway it gives you in marking.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gmtkaf)
    I didn't apply for extenuating circumstances at the time because I didn't think it mattered at that point due to how little leeway it gives you in marking.
    Unfortunately, extenuating circumstances only really come through successfully for medical conditions or bereavement.

As said above, your GCSE grades are far from mediocre. Just because you didn’t get a buttload of A*’s, most people don’t. Even for Oxford, this won’t be a deciding factor in your application. They will look at your GCSE’s, but your A-Levels/Entrance exams/Interview will hold much more weighting. It’s not the end of the line. Focus on your A-Levels now. x
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

University open days

1. University of Oxford
    All undergraduate colleges and departments Undergraduate
    Fri, 14 Sep '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.