Turn on thread page Beta

Am I boring ? watch

Announcements

I’ve spoken to guys but the conversation doesn’t really flow. I assumed it was because I was shy and really awkward. I’m getting the impression I’m just boring. I have friends, well they’re all female lol. I wouldn’t say I went out of my way to make them, kinda just happened. I’ve never had like a proper conversation with a guy, is that normal or am I just not interesting enough ?

P.s. lol it’s not that I don’t get attention, I’m not ugly, I would say I’m average. I get approached but I can’t work out if I’m too closed off or if I’m simply boring
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Hey! Lets be boring together!

What I say consists of bad jokes no one gets, bad memes and gibberish I don't understand.

(Original post by Anonymous)
    I was shy and really awkward. I’m getting the impression I’m just boring. I have friends, I wouldn’t say I went out of my way to make them, kinda just happened.
    This is me

I have male and female friends because I'm just too edgy like that

ReputationRep:
    No one can tell you if you are boring if they don't engage in a conversation with you. Also, one person might think you are interesting while others might think you are boring. It really depends.

ReputationRep:
    i am board too. lets work it out.lol

ReputationRep:
    i am board too. lets work it out.lol

ReputationRep:
    You just haven’t met the right person yet. You either “click” with someone and talking becomes effortless or you don’t and the conversation feels forced
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I’ve spoken to guys but the conversation doesn’t really flow. I assumed it was because I was shy and really awkward. I’m getting the impression I’m just boring. I have friends, well they’re all female lol. I wouldn’t say I went out of my way to make them, kinda just happened. I’ve never had like a proper conversation with a guy, is that normal or am I just not interesting enough ?

P.s. lol it’s not that I don’t get attention, I’m not ugly, I would say I’m average. I get approached but I can’t work out if I’m too closed off or if I’m simply boring
    There is lots of potential different reasons why the conversation might not flow when you are talking to guys.

1) You are not really engaging in the conversation, maybe you are just giving one word answers and so it's hard for the guy to continue the conversation. I've had this done to me in the end you are literally raking your mind for things to say because their response is so basic not leaving it open for you to say much back

2) You might look awkward/shy/nervous whatever and the guy picks up on this so doesn't make the effort as it's a struggle to talk to a painfully shy person. Sometimes shyness comes across as looking arrogant as well, which is how some may see it.

3) It's the guys themselves!! Maybe they are the ones who can't hold a decent conversation down. It may not even be anything you are doing.

4) You talk about the wrong kind of things. Talk about things that you could talk to anybody about and that person can respond easily too.

5) You are not talking to the right kind of person. Conversation with the right kind of people just flows mostly without much effort.

ReputationRep:

To start with it's mostly as you describe. I've met I think four people in my entire life who I naturally just clicked with and we chatted sh!t for hours when we first met. Everyone else took a bit of work. Go through the motions to start with, what are they doing? (ie study, work) What are their interests? etc and if that goes well one of my favourites is to say 'Tell me a controversial opinion you hold' - that is usually a hilarious discussion because there's some story behind it. Let the other person talk about themselves as much as you talk about yourself and TRY to look and feel interested. If you're quietly thinking when will they shut up it comes across in your face and body language.

I have no idea if you're boring or not, but if conversation isn't flowing that might help

ReputationRep:
    I was able to talk to one person about anything really because we were both really odd. For instance we decided we had a pet rock and came from Pluto, basically I'm making this sound really bad but the point I'm making is that there can be many people you don't get on with all that well, but there will be a few that you just talk to easily immediately. For me I found someone as odd as me to talk to.
    People that are "boring" tend to be people that have uncommon interests, so be happy to be a little different.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 6, 2017
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.