Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How does not liking someone different from having no opinion on them? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Suppose someone said 'I don't like him' about a person. What does this mean. Do they hate him? How does saying 'I don't like him' differ to simply having no opinion of a person?

ReputationRep:
    It is the feeling - you could be indifferent to someone (neither hate or like), or you feel hatred or dislike to somebody.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cheesecakelove)
    It is the feeling - you could be indifferent to someone (neither hate or like), or you feel hatred or dislike to somebody.
    What does it mean to feel hatred or dislike to somebody? What would you think about them?

ReputationRep:
    Indifference to me is not caring. I can be indifferent to really nice people where I just cannot bring myself to care. Maybe I don't know them well, maybe they're just a bit boring or hard to talk to, whatever.

To properly dislike somebody I feel they've had to annoy me specifically. So I care to some extent in that I'm proactively engaged with the fact that they piss me off, rather than just not really being fussed.

ReputationRep:
    Indifference elicits no response, dislike elicits some degree of ire.

Dislike and hatred are on the same scale but are not the same thing. I can be civil to someone I dislike but I flat out won't engage with a person I hate unless to do them some sort of damage.

ReputationRep:
    It's either how does it differ from or how is it different

Anyway thinking nothing of no one means there's still potential for that person to get along with you. Not liking someone is kinda end of.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gjd800)
    Indifference elicits no response, dislike elicits some degree of ire.

Dislike and hatred are on the same scale but are not the same thing. I can be civil to someone I dislike but I flat out won't engage with a person I hate unless to do them some sort of damage.
    Never mind about my pm I emailed my lecturer just now during a bit of a breakdown 😓

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Salt Queen)
    Never mind about my pm I emailed my lecturer just now during a bit of a breakdown 😓
    Just reading it now.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.