Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Ok, I'm just going to give this a go.
    Bismillah

I am a gap year student living in the UK. I am very confused what to do with my life right now. I want to go to university but refuse to take out a student loan because of the interest, Im sure theres many who have gone through the same thing. But what do i do now? Theres a part of me that really wants to start learning the deen, but i want a career as well. What are my options? Just any advice would be very helpful really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by taslima begum)
    Bismillah

I am a gap year student living in the UK. I am very confused what to do with my life right now. I want to go to university but refuse to take out a student loan because of the interest, Im sure theres many who have gone through the same thing. But what do i do now? Theres a part of me that really wants to start learning the deen, but i want a career as well. What are my options? Just any advice would be very helpful really.
    You can take on a degree apprenticeship (meaning you get paid whilst working and your degree is fully funded) if you want to enter HE but refuse to take out a loan/self-fund.

Does your future career require you to have a degree?
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Bismillah

Regarding student finance, I'd suggest looking at this thread:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=4593668

It clarifies a few things about interest which may affect your decision.

Feel free to check out the Student Financial Support forum fpe further questions on this.

I hope in this forum you get the advice you're after .
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Bismillah

It was my understanding that there are good reasons for why a Student Loan is permissible (read this). There are currently no shariah student loan alternatives in place (although this might change in a few years), so you have only once choice: to take out the loan, or not to go to university. Alternatively, you could study abroad: France, Germany, Scandinavia, Belgium and a few other places in Europe all have no or very cheap tuition fees.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.