Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Are these subjects too different to apply for with the same personal statement? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I really want to study palaeotology and am applying to Bristol, Birmingham and Portsmouth. However other universities offer geology degrees that include palaeontology modules. My personal statement is aimed at just palaeontology so do you think I'd be abe to apply for a geology degree with it as well? Terrified I'll have to go back and rewrite it so it appeals to both.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ben.campbell)
    I really want to study palaeotology and am applying to Bristol, Birmingham and Portsmouth. However other universities offer geology degrees that include palaeontology modules. My personal statement is aimed at just palaeontology so do you think I'd be abe to apply for a geology degree with it as well? Terrified I'll have to go back and rewrite it so it appeals to both.
    You would need to have some mention of geology if you apply to a straight geology degree. A short paragraph would be fine.

Alternatively, you could initially apply to the 3 palaeontology courses and see if you get any replies. If you get offers that you know you will choose as your firm and insurance then you don't need to apply for straight geology - you wouldn't be taking up the offers.
    But if you get rejections, or if they don't reply quickly, you can add the other choices to your UCAS application by January 15th.You can only have the 5 choices in total, but you don't have to send them all together.This gives you a chance to see whether you actuallyt need the back-ups or not.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ben.campbell)
    You definitely can apply for both Palaeontology and geology degrees. However, I would strongly recommend broadening your PS slightly to address geology in general. You definitely can demonstrate that your main interest is in palaeontology, but you should demonstrate an appreciation for other parts of the course because the fact of the matter is that if you're studying a geology course, a good proportion of the stuff you'll be doing will not be directly palaeontology related. This shouldn't require a rewrite of your personal statement, just a modification.

Or, alternatively, do what Juno suggested above if palaeontology is what you really want and you're only applying to geology as a backup.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.