Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do British people really hate American accents? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I am an international student coming to study in the UK. I speak perfect English but my accent is kind of American since I learned American English all my life. Will this make me stand out negatively in the UK? I feel like faking a British accent will be much more annoying to British people than actually speaking with the accent I naturally have. This is probably a lame thing to worry about but I'm just curious. Will everyone just ask me where I'm from when they hear a non-British accent or is it common in the UK?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RowanneK)
    I am international student coming to study in the UK. I speak perfect English but my accent is kind of American since I learned American English all my life. Will this make me stand out negatively in the UK? I feel like faking a British accent will be much more annoying to British people than actually speaking with the accent I naturally have. This is probably a lame thing to worry about but I'm just curious. Will everyone just ask me where I'm from when they hear a non-British accent or is it common in the UK?
    People will probably ask where you're from because they're curious I have noticed myself a fair amount of international students that are not from the US but learnt American English and speak sort of with an American accent. It is not a negative thing, however if you try to fake a British accent (or in general any accent) it will be noticeable and it will come off weird so I would advise just to speak how you normally speak

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it would be a negative aspect. Faking a British accent would definitely be worse!

You also won't be the first or last international student at your university, so other students will likely be used to hearing other dialects and even languages around campus.

Don't worry about it.

ReputationRep:
    I am an international student coming to study in the UK. I speak perfect English but my accent is kind of American since I learned American English all my life. Will this make me stand out negatively in the UK? I feel like faking a British accent will be much more annoying to British people than actually speaking with the accent I naturally have. This is probably a lame thing to worry about but I'm just curious. Will everyone just ask me where I'm from when they hear a non-British accent or is it common in the UK?
    Don't fake an accent. No-one would pick on you just because they hate your accent. At university, you'll meet many people abroad and from the UK who all have a different accent. You having an American one would just make you unique, as most people like people who are different.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Do not fake being British, it will probably work against you. Speak normally and you'll be fine.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Will this make me stand out negatively in the UK?
    No.

Edit: however you might need a "British English" decoder to help you understand what people really mean when you talk to them

See below...
    Spoiler:
    Show

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by markovchain17)
    People will probably ask where you're from because they're curious I have noticed myself a fair amount of international students that are not from the US but learnt American English and speak sort of with an American accent. It is not a negative thing, however if you try to fake a British accent (or in general any accent) it will be noticeable and it will come off weird so I would advise just to speak how you normally speak

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Exactly what I thought! I love how British people speak (I realize there are tons of different British accents but when I think of a British accent I mean the one I hear on the BBC or something lol) However, just like you pointed out faking any accent is really annoying. I do not fake my American-ish accent I just happened to pick it up naturally (having American teachers at school, watching American shows...etc) so I was curious as to how it will be perceived in the UK. Thanks for the insight !

ReputationRep:
    Exactly what I thought! I love how British people speak (I realize there are tons of different British accents but when I think of a British accent I mean the one I hear on the BBC or something lol) However, just like you pointed out faking any accent is really annoying. I do not fake my American-ish accent I just happened to pick it up naturally (having American teachers at school, watching American shows...etc) so I was curious as to how it will be perceived in the UK. Thanks for the insight !
    Welcome to the UK btw Where abouts are you going in the UK to study?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    No.

Edit: however you might need a "British English" decoder to help you understand what people really mean when you talk to them:
    Spoiler:
    Show

That table just about sums up the British way of speaking perfectly.

Really your accent will not be a big deal with so many people about from different parts of the world. Like above it will be more useful to know what people mean as we don't talk literally but instead most of us use codes to hide meaning or avoid offence.

ReputationRep:
    Speak however works best for you. You will probably start having a more British accent sneak in, and honestly we won't mind what accent you use. Accents in the UK can change as frequently as post codes, we're used to variations!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I’m sure they’ll be fine - but if you bust out a ‘HELLO GUV’NOR’ - game over.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    No.

Edit: however you might need a "British English" decoder to help you understand what people really mean when you talk to them

See below...
    Spoiler:
    Show

Lol this table is very helpful indeed! Actually, I do understand the hidden meaning behind most of the things in this table so i guess it is safe to say that i'll be fine in the UK

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jabbathemuttdog)
    I’m sure they’ll be fine - but if you bust out a ‘HELLO GUV’NOR’ - game over.
    I actually had to no idea what that means until I looked it up. Thank for the tip though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by markovchain17)
    Welcome to the UK btw Where abouts are you going in the UK to study?
    Thank you! I don't know yet. It's either Edinburgh, London, or Southampton... still waiting to hear back from my unis.

ReputationRep:
    Just speak normally and be yourself. People will ask you where you're from out of curiosity, that's all. I've had a few Americans in my school before and we've gotten on well. There'll be a lot of international students at uni anyway, so a lot of people will be in the same boat as you.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.