Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

AS Maths OCR - Constant acceleration question Watch

ReputationRep:
    A particle travels in a straight line and decelerates uniformly at 2 ms-2. When t = 100 its velocity is -v ms-1 (where u>v>0). The average speed of the particle over the 100 seconds is 62.5 ms-1. Find the values of u and v.
    Answers:
    u = 150
    v = 50

How do I work this out please
    • Study Helper

(Original post by Mohamed_k200123)
    A particle travels in a straight line and decelerates uniformly at 2 ms-2. When t = 100 its velocity is -v ms-1 (where u>v>0). The average speed of the particle over the 100 seconds is 62.5 ms-1. Find the values of u and v.
    Answers:
    u = 150
    v = 50

Since you have the average speed, you can work out the distance travelled = avg. speed x distance.

You now have s.
    You know t.
    And you know a.

Can you now find a suvat equation you can use?

Ignore me.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ghostwalker)
    Since you have the average speed, you can work out the distance travelled = avg. speed x distance.

You now have s.
    You know t.
    And you know a.

Can you now find a suvat equation you can use?
    The displacement is different to total distance though if the particle changes direction which it does here. Or am I missing something?

I got the answer but I feel this problem is deceptively hard unless I'm being stupid which is possible.
    • Study Helper

(Original post by Notnek)
    The displacement is different to total distance though if the particle changes direction which it does here. Or am I missing something?

I got the answer but I feel this problem is deceptively hard unless I'm being stupid which is possible.
    I assumed average speed, was meant to be average velocity, So, probably oversimplifying it, erroneously. Ignore me.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Answers:
    u = 150
    v = 50

Have you made any progress with this? Can you please post all your working?

The first step is to find the total distance from the average speed. You should be able to easily form an equation with u/v using the time and acceleration. You'll then need a second equation since you have two unknowns.

ReputationRep:
    Answers:
    u = 150
    v = 50

The average speed when you have constant acceleration is simply equal to the initial speed plus the final speed (speed after 100 seconds) divided by 2.

ReputationRep:
    This might be a helpful tip:

The particle goes through a period of instantaneous rest and goes back on itself so you might want to deal with two periods of time (first region: when the particle is released to when it comes to rest, second region: from rest to 100 seconds (AFTER FIRST release), finding the distance travelled by the particle in those seperate time periods.

Doing that, you can find the total distance (rather than displacement) travelled as you have been given the average speed (note this average speed is the average speed of the two time periods).

Then as Notnek has stated, you need a second equation as you have two unknowns.

Spoiler:
    Show

Second equation is one of the "suvat" equations but be careful as these equations deal with displacement rather than distance.

• TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMindGarage)
    The average speed when you have constant acceleration is simply equal to the initial speed plus the final speed (speed after 100 seconds) divided by 2.
    Then the average speed would be (150+50)/2 = 100 but it's actually 62.5.

Average speed is total distance over total time. If a particle changes direction then you can't just find the mean of the inital and final speed.
    • Study Helper

Since we've had no further input from the OP, I thought I'd post the method I finally used before I forget.

Spoiler:
    Show

Let the time at which the velocity is 0 be t.

Distance travelled from time = 0 to t is ....
    Distance travelled from time = t to 100 is ....
    Their sum = avg. speed x 100.

You have a quadratic in t. Solve.

Since u > v, t must be > 50.

Knowing t, then u,v follow easily.

• TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Since we've had no further input from the OP, I thought I'd post the method I finally used before I forget.

Spoiler:
    Show

Let the time at which the velocity is 0 be t.

Distance travelled from time = 0 to t is ....
    Distance travelled from time = t to 100 is ....
    Their sum = avg. speed x 100.

You have a quadratic in t. Solve.

Since u > v, t must be > 50.

Knowing t, then u,v follow easily.

That's also the way I did it. If this question was in an M1 exam it would be a bloodbath
    • Study Helper

That's also the way I did it. If this question was in an M1 exam it would be a bloodbath
    Justifiably so.

I assumed it was an early question on someone's learning path, hence my thinking the average "speed" was a misprint. I think it warrants at least 2 out of 3 stars at the end of the chapter.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Justifiably so.

I assumed it was an early question on someone's learning path, hence my thinking the average "speed" was a misprint. I think it warrants at least 2 out of 3 stars at the end of the chapter.
    It's a red question at the end of a chapter which I think means hard

Textbook

ReputationRep:
    Then the average speed would be (150+50)/2 = 100 but it's actually 62.5.

Average speed is total distance over total time. If a particle changes direction then you can't just find the mean of the inital and final speed.
    Ah yes, forgot about that. You'd have to split the motion into two sections.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.