Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Parking my car overnight in a different location? Watch

Okay so I have recently bough a car and insured it through more than smart wheels (with a blackbox). They asked where my car would be parked overnight, which I answered 'my drive' as it will be. My only problem is I stay at my boyfriends house every Saturday night therefore my car will be parked outside his house (on the road) overnight. Will this affect my blackbox/ price of insurance?

ReputationRep:
    I say my car is parked in a locked garage when it is in fact just in an open driveway. I really wouldn’t worry, it just means that if it were to get damaged on that night then you won’t be able to claim for it
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    On regular insurance policies I wouldn't worry about having your car parked somewhere else overnight as long as it isn't every night.

With black boxes, I'm not sure if it's different. I'd imagine they track your location but can't imagine it would make a difference if it's once a week.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by del1rious)
    I say my car is parked in a locked garage when it is in fact just in an open driveway. I really wouldn’t worry, it just means that if it were to get damaged on that night then you won’t be able to claim for it
    So you're invalidating your whole insurance policy to save a few quid upfront? Insurance companies will do just about anything to avoid paying out on claims and if you've been doing something you haven't told them about then you're taking a huge risk.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Okay so I have recently bough a car and insured it through more than smart wheels (with a blackbox). They asked where my car would be parked overnight, which I answered 'my drive' as it will be. My only problem is I stay at my boyfriends house every Saturday night therefore my car will be parked outside his house (on the road) overnight. Will this affect my blackbox/ price of insurance?
    They only care with your home address, if it was parked there every night over a prolonged period (ie longer than a month) you would have to declare it.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    They can't expect you to never, ever, ever stay away from home.

It's only going to be a problem if your car is parked there more than it's parked at the declared location.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by del1rious)
    (Original post by Duncan2012)
    So you're invalidating your whole insurance policy to save a few quid upfront? Insurance companies will do just about anything to avoid paying out on claims and if you've been doing something you haven't told them about then you're taking a huge risk.
    The irony of this is that insuring in a locked garage is generally more expensive than on an open driveway...

Furthermore, telling the OP they wouldn't be able to claim if the car was damaged at their boyfriends is frankly ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    It'll be fine. The address where it's kept overnight is meant to refer to the address it's kept at overnight on most nights, not all nights.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IWMTom)
    The irony of this is that insuring in a locked garage is generally more expensive than on an open driveway...
    Possibly, not necessarily. Depends on lots of factors.

Furthermore, telling the OP they wouldn't be able to claim if the car was damaged at their boyfriends is frankly ridiculous.
    That's not what I said. Lying to an insurance company is frankly ridiculous.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Duncan2012)
    That's not what I said. Lying to an insurance company is frankly ridiculous.
    Mate, I quoted two people in my post. I was laughing it out with you haha, because it's ironic that they're lying to the insurer but likely not saving money :laugh:
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Mate, I quoted two people in my post. I was laughing it out with you haha, because it's ironic that they're lying to the insurer but likely not saving money :laugh:
    Ah, no worries then. I read your reply a different way

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    They can't expect you to never, ever, ever stay away from home.

It's only going to be a problem if your car is parked there more than it's parked at the declared location.
    Even then an insurer may have difficulty avoiding a policy - see this recent court case. I agree though that a person should put on their insurance the address they think the car will be at most.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.