Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Final year in Degree, no work experience. Where do I stand? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Here’s my situation: I’m in the last year of my Mathematics degree, I have no work experience whatsoever. Admittedly I don’t think I’ve capitalised on finding work opportunities during summer. I don’t really know which job sector to apply for, I mostly enjoy Technology and carry interest in companies like Google and Apple. I am unsure if I want to do a Masters in Mathematics

From what I’ve read, I ought to start applying for graduate jobs in November but I feel like the job titles/descriptions seem more demanding in the sense that I lack the experience and skill to do well. I feel like I can do a part-time job or temporary work but again I am unsure of where to start and what would be appropriate.

I know some of you may say, ‘get a grip’ so I’d also like to know if I’m overthinking things or justified in my concerns.

ReputationRep:
    You should really have used your time at uni to build up contacts and experience to help you find a graduate job. That being said, you do still have time. If you can't find any work experience relevant to the job field you may go into, you could also look at part time work, volunteering and extracurriculars (societies and committees). Whilst not directly relevant, there are skills you will pick up that are transferrable to the job role.

If you are not sure what you want to do, have you tried attending careers fairs or speaking to your careers service. You can get more information and be more confident about what you want to do.

You can start volunteering as a tutor or something and atleast that way you can put on an application you have experienced planned?

ReputationRep:
      Start long-listing the companies, jobs and grad schemes you think sound interesting and come up with a realistic schedule for short-listing and applications. Go speak to your careers service. Have a look at a few MSc programmes (if only to rule them out). It's not the end of the world, but you will need to be disciplined about how you tackle this from here. Good luck.

ReputationRep:
      Hi all,

Thank you for your replies. I haven’t spoken to my careers service or been to a career fair because of my notion, which is perhaps ignorant, that their advice may be generic and nothing different to what I’ve found on the internet. With that being said, I will make a few enquiries.

In regards to graduate schemes, I am confused on whether an internship would be better or not? I’ve read that final year students should really focus on applying for graduate schemes but for someone with no work experience I have a feeling I may not even be considered.

I am considering to apply for a Christmas temporary job at locations such as Carphone Warehouse because I think there would be some good relevance with technology. However I am not a huge fan of pushing a customer to pay more for a different product/contract. Is that even worth worrying about?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by jtets)
      Hi all,

Thank you for your replies. I haven’t spoken to my careers service or been to a career fair because of my notion, which is perhaps ignorant, that their advice may be generic and nothing different to what I’ve found on the internet. With that being said, I will make a few enquiries.

In regards to graduate schemes, I am confused on whether an internship would be better or not? I’ve read that final year students should really focus on applying for graduate schemes but for someone with no work experience I have a feeling I may not even be considered.

I am considering to apply for a Christmas temporary job at locations such as Carphone Warehouse because I think there would be some good relevance with technology. However I am not a huge fan of pushing a customer to pay more for a different product/contract. Is that even worth worrying about?
      University careers service can be very useful, careers fairs are great chances to talk to people from specific companies, network and get your foot in the door if you leave a good impression, a couple of my friends this year have managed to skip to final interview because of how they can across during a careers fair and then the person they were talking to recommended them due to this

As far as I am aware a lot of internships dont consider final year students (could be wrong though). Well if you dont apply to grad schemes you have no chance of getting one but if you do then there is a chance, take what you have done at uni as experiences and examples of skills a company wants (your careers centre can help with this a lot)

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by jtets)
      Hi all,

Even though you think their advice is generic, it is worth noting that the careers service are there to help. You should give it a chance, it is part of your university service and if you don't like what you hear, then fair enough. However, they do help thousands of students and possess a lot of resources and information that could aid you.

Looking for a Christmas job would be a good start to build your work experience. It doesn't have to be necessarily related to your career field, as you will pick up a lot of transferrable skills, as I mentioned before. If you work in retail, you will be expected to make and encourage sales. It isn't a fact of pushing and forcing them to pay for a product that they don't need, but using your customer service skills to find them the best product for their needs. There is some degree of selling involved so you need to have the confidence to do this and approach customers in your store.
      • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by jtets)
      Here’s my situation: I’m in the last year of my Mathematics degree, I have no work experience whatsoever. Admittedly I don’t think I’ve capitalised on finding work opportunities during summer. I don’t really know which job sector to apply for, I mostly enjoy Technology and carry interest in companies like Google and Apple. I am unsure if I want to do a Masters in Mathematics

From what I’ve read, I ought to start applying for graduate jobs in November but I feel like the job titles/descriptions seem more demanding in the sense that I lack the experience and skill to do well. I feel like I can do a part-time job or temporary work but again I am unsure of where to start and what would be appropriate.

I know some of you may say, ‘get a grip’ so I’d also like to know if I’m overthinking things or justified in my concerns.
      No part time jobs or volunteering roles?
      Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by J-SP)
      No part time jobs or volunteering roles?
      I am currently looking at temporary jobs, mainly retail, during the Christmas period. Although after reading reviews of management, frequent pressure to upsell customers I do get concerned. I also have the concern that management won’t understand my uni timetable and force me to work and miss lectures. Perhaps an overthought.

ReputationRep:
      If you are sitting down: stand up
      Now look around you. That is were you stand

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.