Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I’m not sure if this is the right forum to post so feel free to move me.

I have a deadline for a major piece of group coursework tomorrow for which I volunteered to amalgamate everyone’s work and submit it. Out of a group of 5, 3 people have not even bothered to convert their references to Harvard style. I do not want to spend the needy two hours doing this for them but alternatively don’t want to lose marks due to others laziness as I have put an awful lot of work into this. I am instead tempted to put everyone’s initial at the bottom of their pages and group the references together depending on whose they were so the person who is marking it can clearly see who has done what.

Is this really petty? Or should I just bite the bullet and do it for them?

Thanks
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Let them burn.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by del1rious)
    I’m not sure if this is the right forum to post so feel free to move me.

I have a deadline for a major piece of group coursework tomorrow for which I volunteered to amalgamate everyone’s work and submit it. Out of a group of 5, 3 people have not even bothered to convert their references to Harvard style. I do not want to spend the needy two hours doing this for them but alternatively don’t want to lose marks due to others laziness as I have put an awful lot of work into this. I am instead tempted to put everyone’s initial at the bottom of their pages and group the references together depending on whose they were so the person who is marking it can clearly see who has done what.

Is this really petty? Or should I just bite the bullet and do it for them?

Thanks
    Not petty at all, would suggest you do this so the lecturer can see whose clearly put in the effort and who hasn’t. It isn’t fair if you miss out on marks due to other people’s lack of effort. If the others say anything, just say you simply have put their initials so the lecturer knows who has done which part.

ReputationRep:
    Is it done by chapters/sections? If so, you could put each persons' name against their section so the marker can see who did what. If the deadline is tomorrow then email the others in the group and tell them to sort out their referencing before you submit.

ReputationRep:
    The best thing to do is be honest with your lecturer, not petty at all! D:
    Perhaps also having some kind of log to show what you've been doing might help? ^_^

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FlowerTron)
    The best thing to do is be honest with your lecturer, not petty at all! D:
    Perhaps also having some kind of log to show what you've been doing might help? ^_^
    Seconding this. Having the same problem as you at the minute on a Maths module, me and another guy have done all the work while the other 3 haven't - if you make it clear who did which parts and contact your lecturer about this in advance, they can probably be aware of the situation and possibly manage your work separately from the others.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Their work is not your responsibility. Let them suffer for their laziness. I certainly would. Let your lecturer know what's going on and explain your dilemma.

ReputationRep:
    First send them an email/call them and say their references aren't formatted correctly and they need to update them. If you don't get a response then email again saying you will have to separate references based on who wrote them if they aren't correctly formatted as you don't have time to do it.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you guys for your helpful replies!! I emailed them and asked them to redo them correctly and thankfully now they have done it!!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.