The Student Room Group

Digital Technology, How do you Study for it?

Currently doing Digital Technology for A-Level struggling with learning it without getting bored. My current teacher is only giving us information through booklets which doesn't really give much depth. Plus there's only last year's paper to go on. Any help would be appreciated
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:
@Bit6 OMG babe i feel your pain. Are you in AS or A2? Last year i did AS and it was awful. i learnt the factfiles of that ccea gave us of by heart inside out. when the results came out our class were informed that 90% of the fact file of the information was not in enough detail and the markers were told not to accept anything that wasnt on the mark scheme. our DT teacher marks the papers and he said there was a massive outrage at the meetings about it. one of the ways in the factfiles that was told how to do binary was not accepted. there was also a 5 mark question on the paper (cant remember what it was) that not one person in northern ireland got full marks on. your not alone and if it makes you feel better only one person in my class passed. i got a D overall which i was dissapointed with on results day but when he told us about ccea i was actually quite happy about it.
*TIP* if ya want to pass buy the BCS GLOSSARY OF COMPUTING BOOK. it will cost you but if you want to pass you , you will probs need it lol.
hope this help you
I didnt use the glossary i just used fact files that our school developed from ICT papers and the specimen paper. Everyone in my class passed AS with a majority of them being A’s
Since everyone did terribly in the exam it was scaled up highly so that not even half the paper right was full marks.
Your notes must have just been terrible to fail, but to revise and prepare better just learn off the keyfacts, make notes and diagrams and whatever you need to. Its boring as hell but really easy to learn.
Original post by ChewingOnTinfoil
I didnt use the glossary i just used fact files that our school developed from ICT papers and the specimen paper. Everyone in my class passed AS with a majority of them being A’s
Since everyone did terribly in the exam it was scaled up highly so that not even half the paper right was full marks.
Your notes must have just been terrible to fail, but to revise and prepare better just learn off the keyfacts, make notes and diagrams and whatever you need to. Its boring as hell but really easy to learn.

are you on about the fact files that ccea developed. (they where awful) if not would you mind emailing me the fact files that your school made!! i would really appreaciate it as i need at least a B to get into uni. and i nearly got an E in it last year. thanks x
Reply 5
Hi! Just checking did you get any help with this? My daughter is doing her As level at the min and is seriously struggling. No idea where to look for help!
Hi, I know this is an old thread but if your daughter is still studying DT to A2 level and is still struggling, my best advice is to learn all of the mark schemes she can find. I got full marks in both of my AS papers by learning the (very few) digital technology mark schemes and by compiling all relevant mark scheme answers from the old ICT papers which are all on the CCEA website. I just put them all together on a word document and learned them, paying attention to the specific wording that seemed to be awarded marks. It takes ages but its much more worthwhile than any notes provided by the fact files or by teachers who are also most likely taking notes from the factfiles and rewording them. Apparently Software Systems Development is also a useful one to look at but it's a much more computing based one, I found the DT and ICT ones to be enough.
Reply 7
Where do you find the mark schemes please?
The digital technology past papers and mark schemes for GCSE and A level are all on the CCEA website here: https://www.rewardinglearning.org.uk/microsites/digital_technology/gce/past_papers/index.asp

As for the old ICT papers CCEA have recently removed them from their website but they are still available at this website: https://pastpapers.co/ccea/?dir=GCE-A-Level%2FICT

Quick Reply

Latest