The Student Room Group

MA withdrawal funding

I'm currently doing a MA course, but I want to withdraw as it's not really what I expected and I'm struggling with it, and it's too late to transfer this year.

What I want to know is if I do withdraw how will this affect my future student finance, as I would like to apply for different masters courses next year ideally. Would a deferred transfer affect it differently?

I got the £10280 loan but I have only paid about £2000-3000 to my uni so far (for the first semester).

Any help on this would be appreciated!
Thanks
Original post by zyexis
I'm currently doing a MA course, but I want to withdraw as it's not really what I expected and I'm struggling with it, and it's too late to transfer this year.

What I want to know is if I do withdraw how will this affect my future student finance, as I would like to apply for different masters courses next year ideally. Would a deferred transfer affect it differently?

I got the £10280 loan but I have only paid about £2000-3000 to my uni so far (for the first semester).

Any help on this would be appreciated!
Thanks

Hi zyexis,

If you withdraw all future instalments are blocked but you are entitled to any instalments that were paid to you before the withdrawal date.

You wouldn't be able to transfer from year 1 of your original course to year 1 of a different course starting in a different academic year.

If you withdraw from a Master's course after receiving Postgraduate Loan payments you are ineligible for further funding without Compelling Personal Reasons (CPR) being accepted.

You would need to apply again on a paper form and submit CPR evidence. This would take the form of a letter from you detailing the extenuating circumstances that led to your withdrawal alongside some evidence from a third party (GP. University, counsellor etc).

If we accept the CPR your application is then processed.

Regards,

Stuart
Reply 2
Original post by Stuart SFE
Hi zyexis,

If you withdraw all future instalments are blocked but you are entitled to any instalments that were paid to you before the withdrawal date.

Okay, thank you! And I'll only be need to pay back what SFE has given me so far correct? i.e. I've only been given the first instalment, so would have to pay back that amount, not the full £10,000 that I originally applied for?
Original post by zyexis
Okay, thank you! And I'll only be need to pay back what SFE has given me so far correct? i.e. I've only been given the first instalment, so would have to pay back that amount, not the full £10,000 that I originally applied for?

Hi zyexis,

Yes, that's correct. You only pay back what was paid to you (plus accrued interest).

Regards,

Stuart

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending