Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently doing a MA course, but I want to withdraw as it's not really what I expected and I'm struggling with it, and it's too late to transfer this year.

What I want to know is if I do withdraw how will this affect my future student finance, as I would like to apply for different masters courses next year ideally. Would a deferred transfer affect it differently?

I got the £10280 loan but I have only paid about £2000-3000 to my uni so far (for the first semester).

Any help on this would be appreciated!
    Thanks
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zyexis)
    I'm currently doing a MA course, but I want to withdraw as it's not really what I expected and I'm struggling with it, and it's too late to transfer this year.

What I want to know is if I do withdraw how will this affect my future student finance, as I would like to apply for different masters courses next year ideally. Would a deferred transfer affect it differently?

I got the £10280 loan but I have only paid about £2000-3000 to my uni so far (for the first semester).

Any help on this would be appreciated!
    Thanks
    Hi zyexis,

If you withdraw all future instalments are blocked but you are entitled to any instalments that were paid to you before the withdrawal date.

You wouldn't be able to transfer from year 1 of your original course to year 1 of a different course starting in a different academic year.

If you withdraw from a Master's course after receiving Postgraduate Loan payments you are ineligible for further funding without Compelling Personal Reasons (CPR) being accepted.

You would need to apply again on a paper form and submit CPR evidence. This would take the form of a letter from you detailing the extenuating circumstances that led to your withdrawal alongside some evidence from a third party (GP. University, counsellor etc).

If we accept the CPR your application is then processed.

Regards,

Stuart

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stuart SFE)
    Hi zyexis,

If you withdraw all future instalments are blocked but you are entitled to any instalments that were paid to you before the withdrawal date.
    Okay, thank you! And I'll only be need to pay back what SFE has given me so far correct? i.e. I've only been given the first instalment, so would have to pay back that amount, not the full £10,000 that I originally applied for?
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zyexis)
    Okay, thank you! And I'll only be need to pay back what SFE has given me so far correct? i.e. I've only been given the first instalment, so would have to pay back that amount, not the full £10,000 that I originally applied for?
    Hi zyexis,

Yes, that's correct. You only pay back what was paid to you (plus accrued interest).

Regards,

Stuart

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.