Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Applying for Training Contracts with ABC at A-Level - worth it??? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently on the GDL at BPP and beginning my applications for Vac schemes and TCs. I got a 2:1 in my undergrad degree and have completed a total of 30 weeks paid work experience at a Global Intellectual Property Law Firm (2-3 months at a time over the past 3 years). Plus law fairs/pro bono work/student rep positions/non-law work exp.

However I also got ABC at A Level when I hadn't thought about becoming a lawyer. Will my work experience level out my grades or do my grades make applying pretty much not worth it?

Suggests/advice/past experiences/what worked or didn't for you regarding applications is all welcome please.

ReputationRep:
    It’ll depend on the firm. Chambers has a useful table with the academic requirements for different firms set out. Sure there are some who are less focussed on A-level results.

If you’re interested in a particular firm then get in touch with their HR.

If there were mitigating circumstances that’d give you more hope, though it doesn’t sound like there were.

I’m sure you can get a training contract, it just might not be at one of the top firms. Does the IP firm you did work experience at offer training contracts?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by it's-xmas-soon)
    I'm currently on the GDL at BPP and beginning my applications for Vac schemes and TCs. I got a 2:1 in my undergrad degree and have completed a total of 30 weeks paid work experience at a Global Intellectual Property Law Firm (2-3 months at a time over the past 3 years). Plus law fairs/pro bono work/student rep positions/non-law work exp.

However I also got ABC at A Level when I hadn't thought about becoming a lawyer. Will my work experience level out my grades or do my grades make applying pretty much not worth it?

Suggests/advice/past experiences/what worked or didn't for you regarding applications is all welcome please.
    There are firms that don't have a strict AAB or ABB requirement - there is not reason why you couldn't apply to those firms. As previously mentioned, Chambers Student Guide has a (somewhat) handy minimum academic criteria guide, although a lot are "not disclosed". If a firm hasn't disclosed, call them up and ask them on what their stance is. Listening carefully to their language and how encouraging they are of an application.

ReputationRep:
    I think you have a good chance with firms where you meet the requirements and that’s the bottom line really . Where are you based ?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.