Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can I get into these unis with decent GCSE grades or am I dreaming? Watch

ReputationRep:
    So I want to pursue a career in medicine and I'm passionate about it but I also don't want to come out with university with mass amount of debt. Preferably I would like to go to Imperial, UCL, KCL or Queens Mary because they're good universities (from what I hear) and they're all in London. (I won't be staying at student accommodation .)
    I got:
    A* - English Language
    As - Physics, chemistry, English literature (7)
    Bs - Biology, Maths, Sociology
    Cs - Dance, Computing
    D - French (I flopped that in because I self studied Mandarin - a language I'm passionate about)

If I got good: predicted grades, BMAT and UKCAT scores and personal statement. Will it make up for my decent GCSE grades? How heavily do each uni weight GCSEs'?

Imperial or UCL is the dream uni that I want to get into!!!

ReputationRep:
    It's possible but you have to ensure that your AS grades are perfect, like All As, and you must compensate for it by having a high UKCAT into 750s and a BMAT of atleast 5.5, 5.5 and 3.5A. Also if you really want to have a chance, start volunteering in a care home, apply for Hospital shadowing and the other extracurriculars that will make you stand out from the rest.

Plus do really well in your AS and A-level mocks, and have a few teachers who you update about your progress, interests, and what you are doing to achieve your goals. Appear focussed and keep working so that you can get excellent references too. If you start it off well, then you're good to go despite just one A* at GCSE. Focus on the future and not what is past...also look further afield than London, scan for Universities up north and all around (e.g. Sheffield, Edinburgh, Dundee, Exeter, Keele - there are loads) and THEN make your choice!

ReputationRep:
    Someone got into King's in 2016 with an E and a 700 UKCAT score, and eight with Ds in 2015, also with ~700. I'd guess that every other part of their application was great, and/or that they applied with achieved A-level grades during a gap year.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you
    I am currently studying biology, chemistry and physics at A level. I'm a volunteer at a hospital and I am volunteering a care home in December. I'm unsure where to start regarding shadowing doctors, I emailed my GP but they said no.
    I heard that Edinburgh look at GCSEs so I'm not currently thinking about going there but the uni is good
    (Original post by TheMasterofLife)
    It's possible but you have to ensure that your AS grades are perfect, like All As, and you must compensate for it by having a high UKCAT into 750s and a BMAT of atleast 5.5, 5.5 and 3.5A. Also if you really want to have a chance, start volunteering in a care home, apply for Hospital shadowing and the other extracurriculars that will make you stand out from the rest.

Plus do really well in your AS and A-level mocks, and have a few teachers who you update about your progress, interests, and what you are doing to achieve your goals. Appear focussed and keep working so that you can get excellent references too. If you start it off well, then you're good to go despite just one A* at GCSE. Focus on the future and not what is past...also look further afield than London, scan for Universities up north and all around (e.g. Sheffield, Edinburgh, Dundee, Exeter, Keele - there are loads) and THEN make your choice!

ReputationRep:
    Woah that's pretty inspiring that they persisted :adore:
    (Original post by TeaAndLifting)
    Someone got into King's in 2016 with an E and a 700 UKCAT score, and eight with Ds in 2015, also with ~700. I'd guess that every other part of their application was great, and/or that they applied with achieved A-level grades during a gap year.

ReputationRep:
    imperial don't consider gcses at all anymore
    ucl is holistic
    so if you smash your bmat you have a great chance
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.