Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Postgrad Maths at Oxbridge, Imperial, LSE, UCL or Warwick Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi all.

After ringing up a couple of these universities' maths departments I've decided to turn to TSR as most of my questions on how likely I am to get an offer from these places remained unanswered.
    I'm a second year maths student at Uni of Bristol and I wanted to ask anybody who has applied to do their masters course at these universities or similar ones about their experience.

I'm interested in a Maths/Stats masters and most have told me that their entry requirements are strong 2:1s and firsts so coming from a decent uni like Bristol do I stand much chance of getting into any of these with a strong 2:1 to do Maths and Stats?

Aside from grades what things are likely to enhance my application.

Any input is highly appreciated! Thanks!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Placeboo123)
    Hi all.

After ringing up a couple of these universities' maths departments I've decided to turn to TSR as most of my questions on how likely I am to get an offer from these places remained unanswered.
    I'm a second year maths student at Uni of Bristol and I wanted to ask anybody who has applied to do their masters course at these universities or similar ones about their experience.

I'm interested in a Maths/Stats masters and most have told me that their entry requirements are strong 2:1s and firsts so coming from a decent uni like Bristol do I stand much chance of getting into any of these with a strong 2:1 to do Maths and Stats?

No one can predict your chances even with a crystal ball! If you're on track for a 2.1/1st then you will be fine. You need to show your interest in the subject through your PS and have strong refs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alleycat393)
    No one can predict your chances even with a crystal ball! If you're on track for a 2.1/1st then you will be fine. You need to show your interest in the subject through your PS and have strong refs.
    Thanks mate I understand. I'm just looking for some people who went through the process to tell me a bit more about their experience.
    My main question is whether these universities are too much of a step up from Bristol, especially with a 2:1 as oppose to a 1st.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Thanks mate I understand. I'm just looking for some people who went through the process to tell me a bit more about their experience.
    My main question is whether these universities are too much of a step up from Bristol, especially with a 2:1 as oppose to a 1st.
    Postgrads don't tend to stick around so you may not find someone who's been through the process. And unis don't really care where you studied as long as you meet their entry requirements. Bear in mind that people come there from all over the world.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Hi all.

Hi,

Know their entry requirements and make sure you achieve them. I'm guessing that they will all be 2.1s and 1st, so try and get a first as much as possible. A strong 2.1, with a convincing personal statement which talks about your motivation and your research interest in the area of Maths and Stats + a strong reference from your academic referees + a display of strong interest in extracurricular activities should help you get at least an interview opportunity. Make sure you shine in the interview (dwell on specifics + be research-focused) and you will be fine. However, start from knowing the individual requirements of those universities.

Best,
    Cranfield TSR Rep.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.