Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking about taking my hobby forward of programming, by taking forward Computer Science in University. I've been doing techy related work since I was 11, managed to get into a bit of Game Development at around Age 13-14. I know a few languages such as HTML, CSS, LUA, PHP, SQL etc. And a few that I'm going to finish/start learning such as Java.

My grades weren't as good from GCSE's since I was operated on in the same year, and I had a month of absence before my exams started which pretty much wasted my chance. I was hospitalized for a while. My grades weren't as good as they should've been only got one D, the rest A-C Grades (Maths: C, Predicted: A/B). I've completed my first year in College, I did Computing, Business Studies, Graphic Design and Media Studies and I didn't do Statistics or Maths A Levels or any other Maths related courses/subjects.

So I need some advice, I have a few personal projects already that I've created such as mini-games, a few websites and so on. And I also worked in Online Businesses that relate to Programming such as Hosting Services (Server Hosting), Game Projects etc. I really wanted to do Computer Science, and I've also heard there's Software Engineering a few months ago from my Teacher.

The career that I want to go into is something that's programming related, not quite sure yet, but I'm positive about what I want to do. What should I do?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by bstgmr)
    I'm thinking about taking my hobby forward of programming, by taking forward Computer Science in University. I've been doing techy related work since I was 11, managed to get into a bit of Game Development at around Age 13-14. I know a few languages such as HTML, CSS, LUA, PHP, SQL etc. And a few that I'm going to finish/start learning such as Java.

My grades weren't as good from GCSE's since I was operated on in the same year, and I had a month of absence before my exams started which pretty much wasted my chance. I was hospitalized for a while. My grades weren't as good as they should've been only got one D, the rest A-C Grades (Maths: C, Predicted: A/B). I've completed my first year in College, I did Computing, Business Studies, Graphic Design and Media Studies and I didn't do Statistics or Maths A Levels or any other Maths related courses/subjects.

So I need some advice, I have a few personal projects already that I've created such as mini-games, a few websites and so on. And I also worked in Online Businesses that relate to Programming such as Hosting Services (Server Hosting), Game Projects etc. I really wanted to do Computer Science, and I've also heard there's Software Engineering a few months ago from my Teacher.

The career that I want to go into is something that's programming related, not quite sure yet, but I'm positive about what I want to do. What should I do?
    I wouldn't worry about the grades at this stage. Check the entry requirements on the website. Usually they're more interested in your A levels. Have a good look at both the comp sci and engineering courses and work out which one interests you more. Then just go for it!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for the support. I'm just a little worried that I might not get in. I've got a lot of experience in this sector and it's preferably what I would like to take forward, making it my first choice.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 6, 2017

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.