The Student Room Group

Can I get into this career with my challenges

I want to be a theatre director. How difficult is this field? I've tried acting and it didn't go to plan and I know nothing else in the industry interests me apart from being where the action is such as directing.

The thing is i do have learning difficulties like processing disorder and difficulties with writing but I know it's not too bad. I do think differently but I know I'm creative in this type of work.

Advice?
Original post by Anonymous
I want to be a theatre director. How difficult is this field? I've tried acting and it didn't go to plan and I know nothing else in the industry interests me apart from being where the action is such as directing.

The thing is i do have learning difficulties like processing disorder and difficulties with writing but I know it's not too bad. I do think differently but I know I'm creative in this type of work.

Advice?

Not at all! Most people in the creative industries have had difficulties in the past and use them to channel their creativity so don't let them hold you back. Turn them into positives! Make sure you identify what your difficulties are (which it sounds like you've done already) and that you have coping strategies and mechanisms in place.
Reply 2
The thing is it's difficult to get started.

I want to take some small courses but the cost are a little pricey. My commication can be odd at times due to aspergers too.

I'm thinking started looking for volunteering or entry level work at big theatres. Advice please
Original post by Anonymous
The thing is it's difficult to get started.

I want to take some small courses but the cost are a little pricey. My commication can be odd at times due to aspergers too.

I'm thinking started looking for volunteering or entry level work at big theatres. Advice please

Yes that’s a good idea to go and do it. Constantly asking for advice is not going to get you very far. You have to make yourself a plan and keep at it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending