Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Right now I am doing a foundation diploma at my sixth form and applying to universities (or trying to at least, I’m panicking over my personal statement but that is a different topic entirely). From what I understand I need to include around 10 pieces of work that show a variety of techniques I’ve tried out, and a university teacher actually said they don’t need to be perfect, just show willingness to try new things. However, I’ve been looking around some more and apparently I also need to show developments, trials, primary and secondary research etc. for my pieces. Unfortunately, I don’t really have that kind of stuff for a bunch of my pieces, just because it’s work I’ve done independently because I’ve wanted to or I was curious about it.

Now I’m thinking about including my AS and A-Level sketchbooks with my portfolio just to show that this is something I can do. The only problem is that the stuff I made in that class, particularly AS, is really not anything I’m proud of. I’ve grown and definitely improved since then and the pieces really embarrass me because they’re just not good, and I don’t want universities to think that I still create work of that standard, when I know that I’m better now after a few years.

So my questions is: should I include those books anyway, or just make up developments of the work I did and pick out some research I’ve done that suits them?

ALSO, yes I have looked on various university websites to check if they have anything about specifics they want to see in my portfolio, but a few on them, including the one I’m really aiming for, don’t actually have anything other than ‘show variety of techniques, show a passions, etc.’ which is sort of vaque.

Sorry for the long post!
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by foursides)
    Right now I am doing a foundation diploma at my sixth form and applying to universities (or trying to at least, I’m panicking over my personal statement but that is a different topic entirely). From what I understand I need to include around 10 pieces of work that show a variety of techniques I’ve tried out, and a university teacher actually said they don’t need to be perfect, just show willingness to try new things. However, I’ve been looking around some more and apparently I also need to show developments, trials, primary and secondary research etc. for my pieces. Unfortunately, I don’t really have that kind of stuff for a bunch of my pieces, just because it’s work I’ve done independently because I’ve wanted to or I was curious about it.

Now I’m thinking about including my AS and A-Level sketchbooks with my portfolio just to show that this is something I can do. The only problem is that the stuff I made in that class, particularly AS, is really not anything I’m proud of. I’ve grown and definitely improved since then and the pieces really embarrass me because they’re just not good, and I don’t want universities to think that I still create work of that standard, when I know that I’m better now after a few years.

So my questions is: should I include those books anyway, or just make up developments of the work I did and pick out some research I’ve done that suits them?

ALSO, yes I have looked on various university websites to check if they have anything about specifics they want to see in my portfolio, but a few on them, including the one I’m really aiming for, don’t actually have anything other than ‘show variety of techniques, show a passions, etc.’ which is sort of vaque.

Sorry for the long post!
    Are you working on a sketchbook for your foundation diploma? That would make more sense to include.

You don’t have to attend an interview/supply a portfolio the instant you apply. If you ask you can usually postpone portfolio submissions/interviews until February to give you time to develop your FAD work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    Are you working on a sketchbook for your foundation diploma? That would make more sense to include.

You don’t have to attend an interview/supply a portfolio the instant you apply. If you ask you can usually postpone portfolio submissions/interviews until February to give you time to develop your FAD work.
    not a sketchbook in the same sense as alevel, with a4/a5 sketchbook spiral bound in one book. its more like boards of works pinned up in our corner of the room that the teacher walks around to mark, so it'd be pretty hard to show those in an interview

:OOOO really?!? my teacher (who apparently don't know anything like always) said you have to submit some kind of online or digital portfolio when you submit your ucas applications and i've been freaked out because I thought we did it later, thank youuuuu!!! oh my god I'm almost crying I didn't know I could do them later! :*

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.