Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    The current crown prince of Saudi Arabia, Mohammad bin Salman, has stunned the world by arresting a dozen senior Saudi princes who might have constituted a threat to his succession. He also arrested the well-known eccentric Saudi billionaire, Alwaleed bin Talal. The excuse is that this is an "anti-corruption purge". In fairness,Mohammad bin Salman is a genuine reformer; you can read this Bloomberg interview with him below which gives a fascinating insight into his ideas(it's behind a paywall, but when you open the link hit the Escape button a few times and it will load the article before the paywall goes up); the prince realises Saudi Arabia must join the 21st century, it must plan for the day when the oil runs out, and it can only do this with a well-educated population, not people versed in superstition and barbarity.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/featu...conomy-off-oil

Furthermore, two Saudi princes died in mysterious circumstances in the last day or two. Prince Mansour bin Muqurin, son of the very prominent Prince Muqurin who was head of Saudi intelligence for 7 years in the 2000s, died in a very convenient "helicopter accident".

Another Saudi prince, Prince Aziz who was the youngest son of King Fahd and may have had a superior claim to the throne over the crown prince (up until now, Saudi Arabia practiced succession by agnatic seniority; when the king died, his younger brother would take over rather than his son, and it would go down the line of male seniority) as the crown prince is merely a son of the current king.

Among others arrested was Prince Miteb bin Abdullah who was head of the Saudi Arabian National Guard (SANG). SANG is separate from the Saudi armed forces and tends to be manned by members of the traditional Saudi tribes who have direct personal loyalty to the royal family (i.e. they have been granted lands and titles).

It's all really quite fascinating.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-41874117

ReputationRep:
    In the Bloomberg article I linked to above, it has some rather cool pictures. Here is the entrance to one of Prince Mohammad's houses.

And the interior. Not crazy gaudy like many Saudis, it seems quite comfortable without being ostentatious

And the prince himself, reading something on his iPad

ReputationRep:
    I've been following this story closely, there is a high possibility of an assassination plot coming the Crown Prince's way. His vision for his country is generally looking in the right direction, so while I can't call myself a fan, I do have a degree of respect for him.

One of the few things that I miss about Saudi is how gorgeous the houses were.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eunomia)
    I've been following this story closely, there is a high possibility of an assassination plot coming the Crown Prince's way. His vision for his country is generally looking in the right direction, so while I can't call myself a fan, I do have a degree of respect for him.
    I guess the thing is we will never really know if there was genuinely such a plot or whether it was fabricated.

I am in agreement with you, though, about the crown prince's vision for the country and in order to execute that vision, it could be considered to be justifiable to engage in some initial ruthlessness in order to secure a future for that vision.

One of the few things that I miss about Saudi is how gorgeous the houses were.
    There's plenty of gaudy crap in the Saudi Arabia too; I bet half the princes live in tacky faux-Versailles rip-offs.

I suspect the crown prince has good taste. His house actually reminds me of places I went in Marrakesh. In parts of the world where you have little rain, an open courtyard like that is an excellent design feature.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlexanderHam)
    I guess the thing is we will never really know if there was genuinely such a plot or whether it was fabricated.

I am in agreement with you, though, about the crown prince's vision for the country and in order to execute that vision, it could be considered to be justifiable to engage in some initial ruthlessness in order to secure a future for that vision.
    True, but the plot could come as a result of this purge and some of the policies he is trying to implement. It wouldn't be the first time a member of the Saud family was assassinated for implementing too much change that some will consider to be undesirable. King Faisal comes to mind.

There's plenty of gaudy crap in the Saudi Arabia too; I bet half the princes live in tacky faux-Versailles rip-offs.

I suspect the crown prince has good taste. His house actually reminds me of places I went in Marrakesh. In parts of the world where you have little rain, an open courtyard like that is an excellent design feature.
    True, some of the houses were clearly built by people with a lot of money but no actual knack for interior (or exterior) design. But when they got it right it was breathtaking.

ReputationRep:
    Also an interesting article here about how the crown prince is taking on the Wahhabi clerical establishment

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/05/w...rld/middleeast

ReputationRep:
    In the Bloomberg article I linked to above, it has some rather cool pictures. Here is the entrance to one of Prince Mohammad's houses.

And the interior. Not crazy gaudy like many Saudis, it seems quite comfortable without being ostentatious

And the prince himself, reading something on his iPad

Looks like the interior of a hotel.

ReputationRep:
    It's a really weird country, with all the tech of the ultra-wealthy combined with an incredibly archaic state and government structure. A friend of mine visited saying he expected it to be like Iran, and instead they were virtually nothing alike - Iran looked like a beacon of modernity compared to the Saudi Kingdom.

(it's behind a paywall, but when you open the link hit the Escape button a few times and it will load the article before the paywall goes up);
      Cheers

Alternatively, just block javascript for that site, then the paywall never loads.

ReputationRep:
      This was a shameless consolidation of power, in particular the head of the national guard - bringing all three armies under consolidated control.

I personally believe the “reform” drivel KSA have been selling the West is just that, drivel. Makes complicity in their spread of Wahhabism in Europe and war crimes in Yemen more tolerable if we can cling onto hope for future reform.

Also interesting to note the potential interplay with the resignation of Hariri from KSA and the subsequent ballistic missile fired at Riyadh from Yemen.

What message does taking out the CEOs of huge media groups and businesses etc send to foreign investors? I think this will have consequences for MbS and his tenure.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Palmyra)
      This was a shameless consolidation of power, in particular the head of the national guard - bringing all three armies under consolidated control.

I personally believe the “reform” drivel KSA have been selling the West is just that, drivel. Makes complicity in their spread of Wahhabism in Europe and war crimes in Yemen more tolerable if we can cling onto hope for future reform.

Also interesting to note the potential interplay with the resignation of Hariri from KSA and the subsequent ballistic missile fired at Riyadh from Yemen.

What message does taking out the CEOs of huge media groups and businesses etc send to foreign investors? I think this will have consequences for MbS and his tenure.
      You underestimate our government's apathy towards war crimes. The have been bombing Yemen for a long time now with no consequences. It will continue to be tolerated, with or without the promise of reform.

ReputationRep:
      It seems like such a beautiful country, their houses, their mosques, their skyscrapers, the slow pace of life, shame it's quite backward and a scary place for westerners to visit

Submit reply
    TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 11, 2017
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.