The Student Room Group

Oxford Submission work

Urgent help needed- the deadline is coming up and I'm having difficulty choosing which essay to send: one of which is not the highest of marks but I like the topic, my analytical skills presented and choice of words.
The other one is higher in marks and has high analytical skills ( as well as shorter in word count) but I don't like the style of how I've written and the topic is something I'm not that interested in, despite me being really good at it! Suggestions please?
Original post by frwfood
Urgent help needed- the deadline is coming up and I'm having difficulty choosing which essay to send: one of which is not the highest of marks but I like the topic, my analytical skills presented and choice of words.
The other one is higher in marks and has high analytical skills ( as well as shorter in word count) but I don't like the style of how I've written and the topic is something I'm not that interested in, despite me being really good at it! Suggestions please?

Marks matter little here as what your school teacher may be looking for may not be what the uni is looking for. Analytical skills are key as is style. The topic again doesn't really matter as it's unlikely to help or not with the admissions process.
Reply 2
Original post by alleycat393
Marks matter little here as what your school teacher may be looking for may not be what the uni is looking for. Analytical skills are key as is style. The topic again doesn't really matter as it's unlikely to help or not with the admissions process.

I thought the topic did matter since we may discuss it in the interview? If so would I be better off discussing something I'm better at or something I have relatively more interest in?
Reply 3

Also when you say style, what style do you think Oxford prefers?
Original post by frwfood
Also when you say style, what style do you think Oxford prefers?

They may ask you about it yes and being able to discuss it intelligently doesn't require you to like it. Bear in mind you will also be studying things you don't enjoy as much as part of your degree. And no there isn't a specific style that they prefer (if essays can even be catergorised into styles). Make sure your work makes sense, tells a good story and is referenced well.
Reply 5
They may ask you about it yes and being able to discuss it intelligently doesn't require you to like it. Bear in mind you will also be studying things you don't enjoy as much as part of your degree. And no there isn't a specific style that they prefer (if essays can even be catergorised into styles). Make sure your work makes sense, tells a good story and is referenced well.

Ok thank you! And one last question: which style of essay is desirable for a subject such as history? The higher marked one is a 'why' question, whereas the lower marked one is an 'extent' question and therefore more analysis is probably present? ( Although maybe not based on the marks)
Original post by frwfood
Ok thank you! And one last question: which style of essay is desirable for a subject such as history? The higher marked one is a 'why' question, whereas the lower marked one is an 'extent' question and therefore more analysis is probably present? ( Although maybe not based on the marks)

You may be asked either type of question in history or any other subject. If you think you wrote on better than the other or have shown more analysis in one over the other then pick that one.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending