Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I'm living in Dubai, AMA!!! Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    When I grow up I want to move to Dubai and live/work there (probably for the rest of my life ;P). Are the people in Dubai good at understanding English? You see, i'm not good with languages and i'm sure I will pick it up when i'm there but it may take a while c:. I would rather be a businessman than a dentist, so what are the opportunities like in Dubai? Is it ONLY for the rich to become richer, or can people from lower classes rise up? How are the people? Are they more welcoming, friendly and extroverted compared to us Brits?
    I have a couple of friends who have been to Dubai on holiday, and they say the people was very impolite. Maybe its just because Brits are over-polite. They also say they can be arrogant too. Is this true? My Muslim friend said that a lot of the people around his resort, weren't even practising Muslims-they drank and partied etc. and a lot of the religious things were just for show. I really want to go to Dubai, but I'm really not sure whether it is right for someone like me, or to potentially bring up a child and stuff. Thanks anyways.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kevin Hodge)
    Oh yeah definitely. I definitely feel the freedom

Good for you :woo:

Tf did I just watch? :lol:

(Original post by hh1994)
    Do the cops in your country really ride hover bikes? (Or did my brother make that up?)
    Believe it or not, it is actually true :woo:

ReputationRep:
    How do you tolerate the perverse powers that be there?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hamoody)
    Good for you :woo:

Tf did I just watch? :lol:

You have been blessed by Pastor Gainz :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UWS)
    Where did you say you were living?
    Uh in Dubai?

(Original post by gjd800)
    Try not to touch anyone's hip.
    Why not? :hmmm: On the other hand, why would I?

(Original post by eden3)
    Lmao :rofl: proud of OP

I got no questions unfortunately, dubai is a shithole, full of materialistic stuck-up people - both the locals and the expats.
    Whoa calm down :slap:

(Original post by BIG_MAN_MILES)
    7amoody where are you from? I live in dubai but i am going to uni in the UK next year probably.
    I from Dubai Where in Dubai do you live?
    Good luck with the uni

(Original post by uberteknik)
    Tic toc. Electrickery is coming.
    Eh?

(Original post by Stasi UK)
    Are you going to convert to Islam?
    I am a Muslim

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mc_miah)
    When I grow up I want to move to Dubai and live/work there (probably for the rest of my life ;P). Are the people in Dubai good at understanding English? You see, i'm not good with languages and i'm sure I will pick it up when i'm there but it may take a while c:. I would rather be a businessman than a dentist, so what are the opportunities like in Dubai? Is it ONLY for the rich to become richer, or can people from lower classes rise up? How are the people? Are they more welcoming, friendly and extroverted compared to us Brits?
    I have a couple of friends who have been to Dubai on holiday, and they say the people was very impolite. Maybe its just because Brits are over-polite. They also say they can be arrogant too. Is this true? My Muslim friend said that a lot of the people around his resort, weren't even practising Muslims-they drank and partied etc. and a lot of the religious things were just for show. I really want to go to Dubai, but I'm really not sure whether it is right for someone like me, or to potentially bring up a child and stuff. Thanks anyways.
    You can believe what you want. You see one of my friends visited Edinburgh and was like "Oh that place isn't safe for women." But when a close relative visited Edinburgh, she loved it and felt really safe. So it's not really about what you hear out there. People can have different expectations and when they aren't met, they can feel like that place isn't worthy enough. So I bet the best thing for you is to really visit Dubai and see for yourself.
    As far as the arrogance is concerned, let me be completely honest with you. The arrogant are those that have come in fro outside and settled themselves in Dubai, they don't have citizenship of UAE. We call them the "wannabes" and they can be really arrogant :doh:
    I have a crowd of true locals as friends and to be honest with you, they are the loveliest of people. They're really soft and kind, a complete opposite of those that aren't true Arabs. The sad bit is, the wannabes are spoiling UAE's image by being arrogant and stuff, because the actual local population is just about 13% of the population. You don't get to see them a lot, but when you do, you'll love them

(Original post by Napp)
    How do you tolerate the perverse powers that be there?
    Which are..? :curious:

(Original post by Kevin Hodge)
    You have been blessed by Pastor Gainz :lol:
    AYYYYY MAANNNN :woo:
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:

Eh?
    85% of the population are ex pats' with no chance of citizenship because the law does not allow it unless the Father is also UAE by birth and has automatic citizenship. Little wonder that the 'settlers' are miffed.

Unemployment 13%

20% below poverty line

45% of exports are crude oil.

...........and the world is accelerating rapidly to electric powered vehicles and autonomous energy security within the next 2 decades.

ReputationRep:
    Oh my goodness - please commit a crime, film them coming for you, and post it on TSR!

ReputationRep:
    Are maids being treated nicely?

ReputationRep:
    You can believe what you want. You see one of my friends visited Edinburgh and was like "Oh that place isn't safe for women." But when a close relative visited Edinburgh, she loved it and felt really safe. So it's not really about what you hear out there. People can have different expectations and when they aren't met, they can feel like that place isn't worthy enough. So I bet the best thing for you is to really visit Dubai and see for yourself.
    As far as the arrogance is concerned, let me be completely honest with you. The arrogant are those that have come in fro outside and settled themselves in Dubai, they don't have citizenship of UAE. We call them the "wannabes" and they can be really arrogant :doh:
    I have a crowd of true locals as friends and to be honest with you, they are the loveliest of people. They're really soft and kind, a complete opposite of those that aren't true Arabs. The sad bit is, the wannabes are spoiling UAE's image by being arrogant and stuff, because the actual local population is just about 13% of the population. You don't get to see them a lot, but when you do, you'll love them

Which are..? :curious:

AYYYYY MAANNNN :woo:
    Anti gay, anti women, anti freedom, anti western etc. etc. etc. etc.

ReputationRep:
    I went last year, and loathed it. All the new architecture looked like empty and soulless, like a vacant film set.

ReputationRep:
    Life is amazing. If you plan to live in Dubai(one of the cities in UAE), you'll get an environment that somewhat is similar to the Western countries. Other cities are somewhat calmer and quieter. I like to say that Dubai is the New York of UAE. If I have to write down every single thing I like about Dubai, it'll get lengthy. But like every city in the world and perhaps more because of difference in interests, there are a few things that are not on my favorites list, especially the heat in summer :sad:
    Thanks I like the idea of it so far, from your description especially. I'm still looking into it, the prospect for me is so exciting as I am starting to become more attracted to the middle east. I'm still thinking where exactly, so UAE or Qatar. Might aswell make a stop in Kuwait/Bahrain/Saudi while I am there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hh1994)
    Oh my goodness - please commit a crime, film them coming for you, and post it on TSR!
    A bit dodgy, don't you think?

ReputationRep:
    on a scale of 1 to 10, how sandy is dubai?
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:

:lol: The devil was screaming and clutching at it's hair in agony :rofl:
    *its :mmm:

Where u been bro?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.