Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should I just give up hope with this job Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Basically, I have been up and down with regards job hunting lately.

I've had somewhat brief moments of light, in that recruiters have gotten back to me, however, largely they just get me in for registration (in this case I've applied for a job), and tell me my CV looks great, I'm ideal for the role, and say they'll send off my CV to their client. 9 times out of 10 I hear nothing. It happened again last week!

I recently came away from this meeting largely positive, the guy was young, upbeat and seemed to get the struggles of having no experience to get foot in the door, but then having nobody to give you a chance. I expressed my desire to get out of my current industry (to earn a living rather than survive), and into a role related to my degree.

He told me that he had showed my CV to his colleague whom this opportunity was assigned too, however, he was doing the recruiting. From what I heard I was highly regarded and ideal for the role. By the end of the meeting he had me at ease, and I genuinely believed that they would be in touch.

Only to hear nothing.

He did say another person was in line for an interview tomorrow (Tuesday 6th), however, he had to reschedule it with the firm for them because they cancelled last minute. This had me believing I had a chance - as a willing candidate happy to prepare and take an opportunity on.

This meeting was Wednesday last week. Heard nothing back. I indicated to him I've free Wednesday or Today if they wanted to interview me.

One other thing that stood in my way was the fact, I don't drive, and a lot of these jobs are on the outer fringes of Greater Manc'. Having moved from a small rural community to a city, I thought every thing was close together. You don't realise how much of an inconvenience it is to not drive! I told him that I would do what it takes for a job, I would learn to drive or relocate for the right position.

I think this might have been a big roadblock to my search as a grad so far.

The other big thing is the fact I have a Police Caution on my file from been a youth, but due to reform and changes to legislation - on technicality - I have to declare it because parliament issued a list of not-to-be-expired offences. Although I wasn't convicted it has to be declared on these grounds by law.

The offence itself was committed when I was young, immature and in a bad place. I expressed this to him, and told him what it was for, and that it sounded twice as bad as what it was. I can't help but think this affected my chances. As he didn't notice it until the end. He saw it and sort of asked me. He thought it would be for a drug offence or something, and was shocked at what it actually was. To me a drug offence is much much worse.

Anyhow.

Any advice? Should I just write this exp off?

ReputationRep:
    Dust yourself off and keep applying.

ReputationRep:
    Don't give up...keep applying sometimes it seems like it's taking ages. Even after having experience in lots of temporary jobs and a degree it took me about 5 months of being unemployed to get my next job but its permanent now. Also it was just for a normal admin job, and they told me I got accepted from 157 people...unfortunately that's just how it is these days. But keep improving your applications...tailoring them for the job you apply to and acting on any feedback you get given. It's the only way I'm afraid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sabana)
    Don't give up...keep applying sometimes it seems like it's taking ages. Even after having experience in lots of temporary jobs and a degree it took me about 5 months of being unemployed to get my next job but its permanent now. Also it was just for a normal admin job, and they told me I got accepted from 157 people...unfortunately that's just how it is these days. But keep improving your applications...tailoring them for the job you apply to and acting on any feedback you get given. It's the only way I'm afraid.
    Sounds pretty pessimistic, aside from you landing a job. The outlook is much bleaker (job market in the UK).

I am just very stressed at the minute and experiencing a bit of a low point. I've got an interview at another recruitment firm (only for registration). I suppose its worth the hassle, incase something comes up.

ReputationRep:
    Would moving to another area be possible?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 7, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.