The Student Room Group

thinking of having a baby

hi i am 22 yrs old
currently at college full time and was wondering is it normal to feel broody and i do want to have kids but currently in a situation where im in supported living due to mental health and should i wait until i finished my education and get a job before having a baby ?
what do you guys think as i dont want to leave it too late to have children one day.
Don't be stupid: leave it till you're older and have your life sorted out (30's)
Original post by Saunders16
Don't be stupid: leave it till you're older and have your life sorted out (30's)

thanks for your honest opinion.
It's perfectly normal to want children and be broody. I feel the. Same and I'm 18. However it isn't a good idea for you to have a baby now whilst you're reliant on other people and don't have a supportive job. Wait 5-10 years.

You don't have to worry about leaving it too late for another 20 years.
Original post by Saunders16

This

Original post by glamourprincess
thanks for your honest opinion.
Original post by DrawTheLine
It's perfectly normal to want children and be broody. I feel the. Same and I'm 18. However it isn't a good idea for you to have a baby now whilst you're reliant on other people and don't have a supportive job. Wait 5-10 years.

You don't have to worry about leaving it too late for another 20 years.

thank you for your advice :smile:
Reply 6
Everyday we stray, further away from God lol
Reply 7
hi i am 22 yrs old
currently at college full time and was wondering is it normal to feel broody and i do want to have kids but currently in a situation where im in supported living due to mental health and should i wait until i finished my education and get a job before having a baby ?
what do you guys think as i dont want to leave it too late to have children one day.

You'll regret it. You'll have all the time in the world to have a baby. Also, the baby will restrict you and your time and there's a strong possibility that you won't meet your potential. Your studies will be greatly hindered, you'll have other priorities, you're unlikely to have the chance to set up a strong foundation financially and socially, and as a result, the baby will suffer. Wait until your 30s. If you have want to have a baby in your 20s, there's a strong chance it could wreck your life.
Bad idea.

I'm married, have a good place to live, a job, enough money, and I'm still not in a position to have kids just yet due to MH stuff. As has been said, you have a good 12-15 years yet; finish your education, find a stable place to live and a steady boyfriend then think about a baby.
It is normal but I’d say finish your education, have a stable income, do some travel etc. having kids is an amazing experience but there are a lot of things that will become difficult so I would wait
You're only 22 you have plenty of time to have a baby! Finish off your education which will allow you to get a stable job in order to provide for yourself and children in the future. I am sorry about your current situation but you won't want to let your child be affected by your mental health issues that you may not be able to control at the moment. Until you are financially and emotionally stable I do not think you should have a baby right now since you have plenty of time. Live your life, finish off college and do all the things you may not have as much time for than you will when you have kids. Honestly, I think its not the right time right now wish you luck x
thanks guys really appreciate your help, i have given it some thought and decided im going to wait until after i finish my education and have a steady income and my own home while working.
I think you should wait until you finish college and when you get a professional job. In my opinions, having a child in 30s is not something I would do either because then our children will be young when we reach an old age. I kinda understand the urge but wait so that you don’t regret it later
hi i am 22 yrs old

Not wishing to sound mean. But if you have severe mental health problems I would work on these before having a child. As I am sure you are aware you have to put the child first at all times (not saying you won't btw)

Also, you are very young. You have plenty of time to settle down. You could leave it till your 30, many more women are having children later in life anyway as people are living longer in general. Why not be financially better off before you bring a baby into the world, it makes it so much easier to raise a family if you are. If you want to finish your education, it is hard to do this while looking after a baby as the baby will always have to come first. It's hard juggling everything. Being broody is not a good enough reason on it's own to have children, although the fact you do want children is good.

Quick Reply

Latest